Commercial tire question

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mods you can move this to the towing forum if you’d like I just know a lot more traffic here. My truck runs 235/85r16 on aluminum wheels. I’m trying to find a commercial type tire that would fit. Doesn’t have to be exactly same size just has to be 16in rim. I.D like to find a closed shoulder high mileage freeway tire like the 19.5 styles but seeing if anyone has recommendations

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about a Michelin XPS Rib? That should be close to what you are looking for, and I know they are good tires.

I'm running the XPS Tractions on my '93 right now, and I like how stiff they are. Load them up and it doesn't look like the tire is about to burst.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Firestone TransForce AT’s on the Chevy, they do come in your size and I can honestly say I am happy with them. They were on the truck when I got it at 273k miles, the truck is about to turn over 314k miles and the tires still have a lot of tread on them. I have no idea how many miles are on them, they look the same today as the did when I got the truck.

The shoulder doesn’t look closed from pics but it is, it is just ribbed on the outer edge.

DougsOBS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We run the Transforce HT's on all of our vans and trucks. Available everywhere and super consistent. Great in the wet or dry. If you are driving offroad much Id get the AT s for the rear.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Regardless what tread, 265/75R16E packs an extra 370# per tire. Still fits on a 16x7 wheel... actually fits better than 235/85R16, IMO.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
370 lbs per tire?
You talking load capacity? Or actual tire weight? Lol

Haha... load capacity.

285's go even further. They'll fit on the rear, but might be tough to fit up front (33" tall).

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I really like the Firestone Transforce A/T as mentioned above. I'm on my second set I liked them so well. Between Dad and I we've had 5 sets on 4 different trucks. (Excursion, F-250LD, 2 F-150's)

You must be registered for see images attach

They also make an H/T version

I know that Travis used to run the BF Goodrich Commercial TA's on the Nanny Goat and really liked them...

Had decent dry/wet traction and got a lot of miles out of them.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wore out a set of michelin ltx m/s2 in less than 30k miles on chip truck.They were officially unsafe around 25k miles but I was so disgusted I hated to have to buy new rubber so soon after paying for high end tires.
I'm glad I took Scott's advice and went with the Firestone Transforce A/T.Those I have over 20k miles on now and the tread isn't even halfway worn down yet.Much happier!Thanks Scott!

Now that I've got a few miles on them,not only am I happy with their good ware thus far but they also have great traction and they didn't knock down fuel economy by increasing rolling resistance either.Not noisy.No complaints.If they continue to hold up like this,I'll be sticking with them.

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I can't give specific advice on the indicated size, I have watched through myself and friends which brands are worth running and which are not. The one's to stay away from are Toyo and Bridgestone. We don't see great life out of these with heavy (3/4 and 1 ton) vehicles or when used to haul. However Cooper, Michelin and Hankook all have taken hard use well, giving a decent life even when not rotated and pulling loads daily. My money would be investigating the Michelin's and Cooper's in that order.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the BF Goodrich Commercial T/As here. Great mileage and load capacity. I have 235 85 16s and on my second set. Costco has them for a good price, especially if you time it with a $80 off rebate.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna threadjack for a second here...

@snicklas @FORDF250HDXLT How are those in the snow? The Transforce AT and the BFG Commercial TA?

I realize they're not going to be as good as snow tires, but I've had all seasons that were decent in the snow, and all seasons that were downright scary in the snow.

I've got decent drive tires, but I will need a good set of steers before long.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2 for Michelin’s being crap. I used to load range E LTX on all the trucks in our fleet and this last batch only lasted 20-30k as said. A set of tires that cost more than a grand should last much longer than that. Local tire shop says they changed their compounds around about 3 years ago and they a nfg now. They didn’t even wear properly just flaked from the start.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance