Collection Pump?

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Les,
Do you remember what shaft size those "lovejoy" couplers are?? I have a set from when I tried to direct couple my electric motor.(looks like 5/8")
And I too have a rotary barrel pump that could work like yours. Thanks for the pics & ideas.:hail

I don't remember the sizes off the top of my head BUT when you go to TSC, they sell a nearly identical barrel pump that HF does. Just size the lovejoy using their barrel pump and you'll be in business.

There are two things that I left off in my previous post;
1) The HF shaft already has a hole that the set screw from the manual handle uses. Drill this hole a tad bit deeper and using the lovejoy as a template, drill another hole so that you can use both set screws in the lovejoy. This might sound confusing to read but once you're holding the lovejoy in your hand and looking at the pump shaft, it'll all make sense.

2) The TSC pump shaft is a tad smaller than the HF shaft. For a snug fit, you'll have to get the lovejoy that fits great on the TSC shaft and then drill it out some to accomodate the slightly larger HF pump shaft. The metal isn't that hard and with a good bit and a steady hand, it's a relatively easy and painless procedure. Just in case you don't get it right, get an identical sized lovejoy that you'll use for the drill. That way, you'll have a spare and can easily use the mangled lovejoy as the drill adapter. Make sense?

wmoguy

Reaction score
Les, on Harbor Freights site, they sell a pump like that, which pumps 20 liters in 72 revolutions. Any idea what RPM you are running your drill at to achieve the 10 gallons per minute?

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Les, on Harbor Freights site, they sell a pump like that, which pumps 20 liters in 72 revolutions. Any idea what RPM you are running your drill at to achieve the 10 gallons per minute?

This is the drill that I'm using, it says in the specs that it turns 550 revolutions. I'm guessing that when it's loaded down, it's turning half that, or 275 revs. Considering that HF's specs are sometimes off, I'll subtract another 15% from that and guess that I'm turning 230 revs. That doesn't jive with what the pump says but then again, I'm pushing through two filters. When I'm not using the filters, it's MUCH easier to spin the pump so to sum it up, I'm probably turning 200-230 revs to get +/- 11 GPM through 2 oil filters.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-heavy-duty-spade-handle-drill-93632.html

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Just got one of the HFT barrel pumps.... :D

wmoguy, they have two that look similar. One is "reversible" and can pump into the barrel. We're looking at the other, cheaper one. :)

wmoguy

Reaction score
hmmmm...... so if one were to build up a pully system with this pump Les uses, and use say a 4hp gas motor that would have no issue spinning it at 2500 rpm. @ 72 revolutions = 20 liters. woudln't that be something like 694 liters/184 gallons per minute that this pump would move? Is my afternoon math right?

http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-direction-barrel-pump-40844.html

* wonder if the pump would blow into the stratosphere at those kind of RPMs?

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got one of the HFT barrel pumps.... :D

wmoguy, they have two that look similar. One is "reversible" and can pump into the barrel. We're looking at the other, cheaper one. :)

From what I can tell after looking them over, both of those pumps are the exact same. The cheaper one is actually nicer, it comes with better extension tubes and also has a debris screen whereas the more expensive one does not. I'm using the more expensive one right now but have the cheaper version sitting on my garage shelf. When you place them side by side, they look 100% identical.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmmm...... so if one were to build up a pully system with this pump Les uses, and use say a 4hp gas motor that would have no issue spinning it at 2500 rpm. @ 72 revolutions = 20 liters. woudln't that be something like 694 liters/184 gallons per minute that this pump would move? Is my afternoon math right?

http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-direction-barrel-pump-40844.html

* wonder if the pump would blow into the stratosphere at those kind of RPMs?

I just pumped some oil and there's no way the drill is turning at 225 RPM's, I think it's probably closer to 100-125 which would better explain my flow rate.

Theoretically your math is correct but as I understand pumps, they hit a limit at a certain RPM and won't push any more liquid. This pump is pretty crudely manufactured (which makes it really easy to maintain) and when I spin mine full bore, it sometimes leaks a little squirt out of the case where it bolts together. Just messing around, I've done it by hand on purpose before and made it shoot a solid 6-8 feet. These pumps have a PSI limit where I think either the case or shaft would give out if the oil couldn't get out of the nozzle fast enough. It'd be interesting to find out what it is though, the physical size of the pump makes me think it oughta at least move 20-30 gpm with a strong enough motor.

When you turn the pump, you'll see that it has sort of an intake and exhaust stroke. I bet if you spin it fast enough the intake stroke and the force of the oil entering the pump would bust something pretty good. Like I said though, I'd like to see it:)

058hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's my barrel pump setup, I use this to transfer oil from my centrifuge barrel into my holding tank. I timed it the other day and it was 4:20 to empty the barrel into the tank and this was pushing the oil through 2 oil filters.

It consists of a HF barrel pump ($27) , two "lovejoys" from Tractor Supply Co ($16) , a bolt through one of the lovejoys that a socket fits on ($.50), a rubber coupler from Home Depot ($2), and a HF adapter ($2) that lets me turn sockets with my HF drill ($40). Most folks already have a drill, I just thought I'd include the price in there since I took a photo of it. With a high speed drill or a coupled motor, I could probably up the transfer rate but I'm happy with what I have so I've left it alone......for now.

What size output hose do you use? And would this be a good setup for picking up oil?

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size output hose do you use? And would this be a good setup for picking up oil?

Back then I was running a 3/4" hose. I've since learned from that and now use a HF gas powered water pump that I picked up for $100. This is only about $10 more than what I had in the barrel pump setup although the hoses did run another $65. This setup is WELL WORTH the extra money since I don't have to worry about plugging in the drill, holding it straight on the bolt, replacing gaskets in the pump, etc. If I could do it over again, I would've bought the gas pump and saved myself hours and hours of messing with the Chevy oil pump, and then the HF barrel pump.

Don't get me wrong, the HF barrel pump works really well and if you maintain it, it'll move thousands of gallons for you. However for only $10 more the gas powered pump absolutely blows it out of water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.