Collection Pump?

wmoguy

Reaction score
Hey all I'm looking to step up my game and start collecting closer to 100 gallons of WMO each week or two. In lieu of the super sucker I'm thinking of using one of these

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-clear-water-pump-with-98cc-gas-engine-68371.html

Do you think if I primed the pump w/ Oil it would pump WMO out of the collection tanks into my collection tank? THis particular one is suppose to pump 37 gpm.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I would worry about oil being too think to flow properly. My idea (which isn't completed) was to take a 3-5hp gas engine and couple it to a modified BBC oil pump. For the time being I use a modded SBC oil pump and a 1/2" drill. It works, but isn't the fastest...

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1.5" pump that I bought from HF on closeout for $100. I haven't had a chance to use it yet because my other setup has been working pretty well. That setup is a barrel pump fitted with lovejoy connectors that allow me to spin it on my Harbor Freight drill. This setup takes alot less work than my SBC pump and I can pump about 10 GPM when I'm going through 2 oil filters and slightly above that when I'm just pumping through a straight hose. I've got about $50 in the setup and am pretty happy with it considering I can empty a 55 gallon drum in less than 5 minutes. I have a few 275 gallon pickups in the future that I might break out the big pump for, otherwise I'll just right up some type of stand that can hold the drill in place so I don't have to the whole time.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i think you would be best to find a bigger tank for your super sucker, perhaps an old propane tank. its still quiater and faster with no pump to burn out on thick fuel.

wmoguy

Reaction score
i think you would be best to find a bigger tank for your super sucker, perhaps an old propane tank. its still quiater and faster with no pump to burn out on thick fuel.

My problem with that is the tanks are very heavy and no longer a 1 person lift to get the super sucker into the pickup and out of the pickup. Going with a 100+ gallon steel tank that could handle the vaccum is going to be a big, and expensive tank to own. It'll need a trailer just for it, and thats spendy and a PITA.

wmoguy

Reaction score
I have a 1.5" pump that I bought from HF on closeout for $100. I haven't had a chance to use it yet because my other setup has been working pretty well. That setup is a barrel pump fitted with lovejoy connectors that allow me to spin it on my Harbor Freight drill. This setup takes alot less work than my SBC pump and I can pump about 10 GPM when I'm going through 2 oil filters and slightly above that when I'm just pumping through a straight hose. I've got about $50 in the setup and am pretty happy with it considering I can empty a 55 gallon drum in less than 5 minutes. I have a few 275 gallon pickups in the future that I might break out the big pump for, otherwise I'll just right up some type of stand that can hold the drill in place so I don't have to the whole time.

Got a pic you can share Les?

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all I'm looking to step up my game and start collecting closer to 100 gallons of WMO each week or two. In lieu of the super sucker I'm thinking of using one of these

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-clear-water-pump-with-98cc-gas-engine-68371.html

Do you think if I primed the pump w/ Oil it would pump WMO out of the collection tanks into my collection tank? THis particular one is suppose to pump 37 gpm.

That looks like it would work good. I hope that it would start ok in the winter months, being new it should start ok cold.
You think that once you finished and went to another source the pump would "unprime"??

wmoguy

Reaction score
That looks like it would work good. I hope that it would start ok in the winter months, being new it should start ok cold.
You think that once you finished and went to another source the pump would "unprime"??

Yep I think starting should be fine (in winter) if not, a lil ether is pretty good at coaxing something along :sly

I'm more just wondering about its ability to pump thicker fluid. I"m about 85% sure it will, but would hate to buy it, get a lil oil in it and then not be able to return it because it doesnt work for my application.
For Priming, I was thinking if I put a ball valve on both the intake hose (a few feet back) and exit side I might be able to keep a prime. For me, I only really make 1 pickup. I was thinking about using a 275 gallon IBC Tote in the pickup bed for collection. 1f I filled it 3/4 full I'd probably have enough fuel for a whole month!

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's my barrel pump setup, I use this to transfer oil from my centrifuge barrel into my holding tank. I timed it the other day and it was 4:20 to empty the barrel into the tank and this was pushing the oil through 2 oil filters.

It consists of a HF barrel pump ($27) , two "lovejoys" from Tractor Supply Co ($16) , a bolt through one of the lovejoys that a socket fits on ($.50), a rubber coupler from Home Depot ($2), and a HF adapter ($2) that lets me turn sockets with my HF drill ($40). Most folks already have a drill, I just thought I'd include the price in there since I took a photo of it. With a high speed drill or a coupled motor, I could probably up the transfer rate but I'm happy with what I have so I've left it alone......for now.

Last edited:

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Maybe you could build a super sucker like that one guy out of an old 500 gal propane tank. You'd need a trailer for it, but you could collect and store as much as you wanted...

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my barrel pump setup, I use this to transfer oil from my centrifuge barrel into my holding tank. I timed it the other day and it was 4:20 to empty the barrel into the tank and this was pushing the oil through 2 oil filters.

It consists of a HF barrel pump ($27) , two "lovejoys" from Tractor Supply Co ($16) , a bolt through one of the lovejoys that a socket fits on ($.50), a rubber coupler from Home Depot ($2), and a HF adapter ($2) that lets me turn sockets with my HF drill ($40). Most folks already have a drill, I just thought I'd include the price in there since I took a photo of it. With a high speed drill or a coupled motor, I could probably up the transfer rate but I'm happy with what I have so I've left it alone......for now.

Les,
Do you remember what shaft size those "lovejoy" couplers are?? I have a set from when I tried to direct couple my electric motor.(looks like 5/8")
And I too have a rotary barrel pump that could work like yours. Thanks for the pics & ideas.:hail

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online