COLD Weather.... prob time to replace the glow plugs

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
well with this recent rash of cold weather/snow, i have been leaving my diesel home and plugged in and have been driving the tacoma, well late last nite on my way home from the girlfriends house the tailpipe on the yota fell off and is hanging by 1 hanger and banging on drive shaft:mad: , so this morning i decided to drive the good ole idi to work, due to -windchill temps i went out extremely early since i knew this was going to be a long starting process, well after much cranking and blowing of white smoke i got her running! so today at lunch i decided to grace the local autozone and purchase a set of beru/motorcraft plugs. hopefully tonite (since i dont have a garage yet) i will pull it into the fire dept bay and work on changing them out.

P.S. does anyone happen to have a good transfer case shifter linkage lying around for a E40D to 1356 Transfer lying around that they would like to sell, my linkage broke where shifter on floor bolts into rotating piece that bolts onto the tranny. hopefully you all will know what i am talking about. the piece broke by the bolt that holds it on to tranny. just let me know. thanks

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't be hard to start if you keep her plugged in. I might suggest it even with good working glow plugs at the temps you all have been having. Probably in the 5-10 degree range for lows? 8 good glow plugs and everything else right or if it is plugged in it should light off no problem. Hope you got them changed. Sorry I can't help you with your other problem. No E4OD or transfer cases/4X4 stuff here.

93_E_350

7.3 IDI NA
Reaction score
It's been getting down to -10 here. My van has been slow cranking and smoking before starting even when plugged in. I bought ($168 for both) two new 1000 CCA (850 below zero) batteries for mine - wow! It started so fast it scared the hell out me! Both the new batteries were the same size, could have used a narrower one on the passenger side, oh well I’ll just make another battery box...

93_E_350

7.3 IDI NA
Reaction score
Umm why'd you disconnect the cold idle an advance?

There has been some discussion regarding the cold advance robbing power from the glow plug system. Some people swear that disconnecting the cold advance actually helps the engine start better. If the engine timing is retarded too far as mine was, then the cold advance probably should be left connected. I retimed my engine using a snap-on luminosity style timing meter so it’s now at 2* after TDC, was 10* after. It starts great with the advance disconnected and that might be due to sending a little more juice to the glow plugs? Also with the engine timed like this it will rattle a little more with the cold advanced connected which would be normal and might also help the engine heat up a little faster. Because of the winter temps here in Wisconsin I opted for just getting it started when it gets cold and letting it sit until she gets warmed up and I think disconnecting the cold advance might be helping me in that regards. If you want or need any further info start another thread on “Disconnecting the cold advance”. It would be interesting to see what others have found… Also as a side note my cold idle solenoid has not worked for almost three years. I was quoted $125 for the solenoid! I put the money towards a snap-on timing meter – much better return for the money.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
The solenoid is smaller than a pill bottle. I can't see it pulling any kind of draw amprage wise. Prolly less than an amp. Not near enough to effect on the GP's

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
well i went to autozone and picked up 8 new motorcraft glow plugs, changed them out and now am ready for the snow we are supposed to get on tue. now i just need to get the transfer case lever fixed and new o-rings in oil cooler and i am good to go!

93_E_350

7.3 IDI NA
Reaction score
well i went to autozone and picked up 8 new motorcraft glow plugs, changed them out and now am ready for the snow we are supposed to get on tue. now i just need to get the transfer case lever fixed and new o-rings in oil cooler and i am good to go!

Good news - let use know how if it did the trick.

93_E_350

7.3 IDI NA
Reaction score
The solenoid is smaller than a pill bottle. I can't see it pulling any kind of draw amprage wise. Prolly less than an amp. Not near enough to effect on the GP's

I know what you mean but like I said some people swear by it. My truck sits out side and I’m not always able to plug it in and it stars fine so I’m reluctant to connect it again. Give it a try and see if it does anything for you? Do some searching and start another post on the subject…

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean but like I said some people swear by it. My truck sits out side and I’m not always able to plug it in and it stars fine so I’m reluctant to connect it again. Give it a try and see if it does anything for you? Do some searching and start another post on the subject…

I have not plugged in my truck since the new glow plugs were nstalled last year. We have even had single digit temps. My cold start advance is hooked up and working fine. Also I only have to cycle the glow plugs one time.

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
Well with 3+ inches of snow, 4+ inches of sleet and about 1/2 inch of ice on top i went out and cleared the ole girl off and it cranked over first try, not plugged in!! ;Sweet :love: i let her warm up for about 10 min till the cab was good and warm. Went down to local country store and put some diesel in my transfer tank so i could fill up the tractor and get to plowing. Even with no weight in the bed besides the 105 gallon transfer tank with like 6 or so gallons in it, it made it down my steep road and back up! Bald tires and all! I guess the limited slip didnt hurt much either. :D Still on the lookout for a transfer case lever.