cold start, truck starts up runs rough then dies....

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have good GPs, good GPC and Diesel Kleen winter additive in the fuel. some mornings when i start the truck it fires right up then runs rough and wont idle then it dies. i crank it some more and do more glow plugs but it was only spuddering and i know fuel was getting to the injectors cause of white smoke from the exhaust. i dont think it is because of the 15w40 getting thick cause of the cold that is giving me issues and i do not have air intrusion problems with the truck. this has only happed to me now that it is getting colder. if it is 45F or above outside i dont have any problems starting the truck and i hadnt had any problems in previous winters when it was single digits outside

i know my IP has 120k on it and i think my injectors are original (196k) so that could be it, hopefully someone with more fuel system experience will chime in

i plugged in my truck, which in my opinion is like admitting defeat, about 25 mins ago. i will try to start it now and let you guys know what happens

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i let the stupid block heater do its thing, still had to crank it a bit and have my foot on the throttle and it started.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
This is a stretch, but my guess would be that there's a seal in the IP that shrinks slightly when it's cold outside. I'm guessing this because I'm fairly certain that I have the same issue. I'm guessing that mine has between 30,000 and 40,000 miles on it. The injectors have the same mileage. Mine starts perfect at about 55* and warmer. By the time it gets to 35 or so, it misses some upon a cold start. At 120,000+ miles, it's time to replace your pump and injectors anyway.

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO what is it that the seal does besides be a PITA? why will the truck start right up then run like crap and die because of a seal possibly being bad

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
On mine, it lets fuel slowly leak out of the pump when it's cold. I should have been more specific on that part. When the fuel leaks out, air gets in and does what you're describing.

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO well it looks like it will be cold overnight here, i will pop the hood in the morning and see if there is diesel leaking out. i really hope there isnt

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Could be shrinking olives too. The inlet one on my F250's IP has needed retightening twice (once time each a year apart) after it got cold and was letting in air.

Last edited:

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hardline between the fuel filter and ip uses a thick square rubber seal that is referred to as olives. I belive the line between the lift pump and filter also uses these seals

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Soft line at the mechanical lift pump probably?

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend gave me some soft-ish silicon tubing to replace the olives on my '89 crew cab. I found olives on the filter end of the pump to filter hard line (flare on the other end), and on both ends of the filter to IP hard line. Can't remember what he said the silicon's hardness was - maybe 60 durometer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight