Cold Start Problems

JMeier

Reaction score
I need some help. I have a 2001 24v 3500 ram 2wd with a 5 speed manual. When the temps get below 40*F it will not start. I have tried cycling the heaters multiple times, new batteries, new lift pump, and still nothing. When I plug the truck in at night, it starts fine. Once I get it started when its cold, it will start up fine unless it sits and cools off to air temps below 40*. The other day, the same problem, and the batteries ran down trying to start it. I didnt have it plugged in. So my dad and I tried to pull start it. As soon as I let off the clutch in 3rd it fired right up. The truck runs great and has plenty of power. My fuel pressure with a FASS DDRP is 15 psi at idle and 10-13 WOT. I have checked for air leaks but cannot find any. Keep in mind this is not a problem when its above 50 degrees. I had the codes read at Autozone and nothing showed up. The fuel heater and air heater test out fine. The other day I used the wifes hair dryer in the air breather to supply hot air and still no change. But we can pull start it, and it cranks right up. This doesnt make sense to me. When starting the system voltage is about 12.67 and drops to 10.6 while cranking. Could it be the starter? Do I need to have the computer flashed? I have read several threads and tried several things with no success. The only thing I know to do now is to move to a place with warmer temps!

JMeier

Reaction score
Changed the starter contacts thanks to some good advice. ;Sweet Hasnt been cold enough yet to see if the problem is solved, but they were in really bad shape and needed replaced regaurdless.

JMeier

Reaction score
Now it gets interesting. We had a little cold spell, (35*F) and the truck would not start. Does the same as it always does. Rolls over, but will not start! -cuss So I think about it for a minute and wonder why I can pull start it but not crank with the starter. The only difference is the lift pump wasnt running on the pull start, so I unplug it and try again. The truck started right up! :dunno This morning it was cold again (around 40*F), so I turn the ignition on and let the pump prime, then unplugged it. The truck started right up! What could be causing this? The truck runs great, has plenty of power, and never stalls or hesitates. Could too much pressure or volume cause hard starts? Why will it only do this when cold?

VALKYRIES

Reaction score
Cold none start

Lets see what I can remember?? Get a mutli meter of your price range. Unhook one side of the grid heaters and measure the resistance across the heaters? V=RxA Voltage/ Resistance/ Amps. I have been told that the heaters draw 220 amps. On starting your lift pump will drop to 25% voltage this also could have full voltage and privide you with hard starting? If so the ECM is suspictious? The voltage comes from the ECM. I have heard that high fuel pressure will cause the vp44 to hard start. That isn't likely your cause? My suspiction is that the pin for the fuel shut off is in with the temp sender under the battery and not providing voltage? When you pull the plug apart for the lift pump put your meter across the leeds and see what resistance you get? Then check this to what they say you should have. Hope that you have it fixed by now!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance