Cold radiator under pressure, bad radiator cap?

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truck has been sitting since Monday and has not run since. Today I went out to top off the oil and check the fluids. When I took off the radiator cap, it puked coolant everywhere. Mind you the truck has been sitting all week and was not run today, so I don't understand how the radiator could have that much pressure still.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you are running a 13psi cap. A new cap is cheap and good insurance. Also check your overflow tube it could be clogged.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A new cap is on this list. The current cap is also a 13psi cap. It looks old, and since I got the truck in 2010, I haven't replaced the cap, so maybe it's time.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would assume, you havnt changed the coolant either?
id put that on the list also if so...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could have the radiator way to full, the level should be down 1-1/2" below the top when cold. You should almost see the core tubes.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't comment on longevity, but I replaced both of mine with Advance Auto caps that were roughly $6.00 per. I noticed an immediate difference in sealing ability. The other choice is a cap with the pressure release arm on top, but if you are using 13psi rated cap it should be good.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Stant #10329 with the pressure release arm. I have used Stant for 18 years on all my vehicles. I also like the idea of being able to release the presser into the overflow tank and not the ground. If checking when hot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73

Members online