Code "B" and "BB" on injector

Housepainter1

Reaction score
Good evening folks:

1985 6.9 Ford. Quick question. Is there a difference between a "B" code injector and a "BB" code injector? Guy at Autozone says no. I am a little confused by researching on these boards about injector codes. I ask because I need to replace one injector. The current ones in there now are all "BB" codes. I live out in the boonies, and my one only parts store only carries code "B"
So, can I mix 'em? 7 "BB"s and 1 "B"?:dunno
Many thanks again!

archangel

Reaction score
OK, here is some of the skinny on the injectors!

I had a long talk with a local Diesel performance shop a while ago about the injector issue (although they are not limited to Diesel performance only) and they told me all about it.

Sorry I did not get a compatibility list.

Am I now an expert? :rotflmao

The 7.3 Diesel injector pump puts out way more fuel than the engine can use as the overflow recirculates for cooling as well as lubricating.

And there is only one basic injection pump.
I have heard rumers of special 7.3 injector pumps (MILITARY ISSUE ONLY with hardened internal components) that can deal with lesser lubricative and non-lubricative fuels and can run off any fluid that will burn and also other Kerosene based fuels like all the different JP's, and even Gasoline.

Although the injector pump determines how much fuel volume and pressure goes to the injector, like at idle and part throttle, the injector is the "choke point" in the fuel delivery system and will determine the ultimate full throttle power output depending on how much it allowed into the combustion chamber at full throttle.

The differing letters such as "B" "BB" "C" and "D" could indicate either differing horse power levels or an upgraded pintle or internal component design, the problem is figuring which ones are at the same HP level.

I would just call the local Ford dealer and ask the parts guy.

The ones I get were out of a 1992 "E" van with the "E" code.

The "E" series van is slightly de-tuned (through the injectors) as the area at the back of the engine does not conduct the radiator air out as well as a pickup truck does so it needs to be limited as to how much HP heat it generates.

With an upgraded injector (like going from an "E" code to a "D" code) it should be possible to increase your HP level as much as 40 or so HP so installing a wrong injector would cause that, or those cylinders to be low on power.

There are also Marine 7.3 Diesels out there that might also have different injectors as well and might offer even more or less potential HP levels.

With these "E" injectors I might even get better mileage as I doubt I will ever "need" all the power this engine will ever be able to put out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online