clutch fail 250mls from home

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woo
Which pivot bolt is loosening on you, the one for the heim joint or the one that holds the lever to the pedal shaft? A loose bolt for the heim joint will still actuate the master cylinder, not completely when you floor the pedal but with a good clutch you only need half-travel anyways so it should be enough to make the clutch disengage. If the lever gets loose on the pedal shaft tho, if it's keyed and the bolt just backed out enough to allow the lever to slip off its proper location you could try disconnecting the heim joint from said lever and then wiggling the lever till it gets back on the keyed shaft then tighten its retaining bolt, afterwards hook your MC pushrod back to the lever and you should be good. If the lever was welded onto the shaft from the factory and somehow the weld broke, not much of anything you can do about that.

Also, it's a 4-speed T19, float her home! Not ideal but she can take it, just be somewhat gentle. Start the truck in 1st gear, get the engine speed up, then back off the throttle a little so engine is neither pulling the truck nor slowing it down, and pull the shifter into 2nd. Repeat all the way into 4th. Downshifting can be a bit tricky, as when you let off the throttle and push the shifter out of gear you will be in neutral, so you'll have to revv the engine up slightly to get the countershaft spinning faster then you push on the shifter again and she'll get into the lower gear. Takes a bit of practice, and the gears will grind some, but as long as you're not too forceful you'll do alright.
I will try this today. I have limited tools so hopefully I will have on hand what's needed

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how to properly upload from a smartphone. Hopefully this will eork

Attachments

• tmp_3683-20150705_1735161995016292.jpg
    tmp_3683-20150705_1735161995016292.jpg
    702.4 KB · Views: 38
  • tmp_3683-20150705_173452-1668585418.jpg
    tmp_3683-20150705_173452-1668585418.jpg
    611 KB · Views: 34

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't believe I forgot to mention but there was squeaking that only went away if I rested my foot on the pedal (throw out bearing?) I can't believe they wouldn't have replaced that along with the clutch. This will be a warranty claim.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like bracket is broken...from the first image but on phone cannot tell.

As for TO it shoild be on bill if replaced.

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brackets not broken. It's was modified with a heim joint because it was worn. Tb was not on the invoice. Can't understand why they wouldn't replace that since we're in there anyway

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how to properly upload from a smartphone. Hopefully this will eork
You need new something - either clutch pedal or MC lever, depending on which side of the bracket this picture shows. I'm thinking it's the right side of the bracket, and thus it's the pushrod lever that's missing and had the splines worn off.

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The splines on the shaft look and feel ok. The bracket is shot. I do have another but it'd back home

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
If they bought a clutch kit, it will have tob and pilot bearing included. Stop scaring the man al.

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't remember the exact wording on the invoice but I think it might have said "clutch kit"

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
its not uncommon to have a brand new throw-out bearing make noise also... they quality of them anymore is not there

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
and dont let al scare ya.... he lives alone in the great white north....his people skills is sometimes a bit lacking ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fizzle