Clutch experts! Need opinion!

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
Well, I'm gonna revisit this OLD post...finally got around to doing something about it. The clutch was driving me nuts, having to stomp the pedal damned near through the floorboards to disengage, constantly struggling just to get to reverse in a parking lot, etc., etc.

Lately, I was hearing/feeling a slight "pop" as I depressed the clutch, like something was moving in and out of place. Sure enough, on closer inspection, I found that someone had drilled out and put a bolt through the pedal lever and pushrod eye to hold it in place. NOT the familiar heim joint mod, but just a bolt! The hole in the lever had become so wallowed out and disfigured, and the bolt had been worn down so much, that any pressure caused this arrangement to wobble and snap within itself.

So, I ended up replacing the entire clutch pedal mount, complete with new pedal. The master cylinder was leaking, so I replaced the whole hydraulic mess while I was at it. About $160 in parts, and WAY too much crawling under the dash for an old guy! (They sure made that clutch lever/mounting bracket hard to get to...)

Anyway, the clutch is now VERY positive, right up at the top of pedal travel with correct free play, releases completely in a reasonable amount of pedal travel, and feels like brand new! No more killing my left leg and jamming gears...

I didn't do the heim joint thing, since time was of the essence (transportation to work!) but replacement bushings are about $3.-something at Rock Auto. I'll keep a couple spares in the glovebox.

Trying to insert photos, don't know if it'll work, but I'll give it a try.

Last edited: