Charging problem

BERG

Reaction score
I have a 06 350 6.0 single alternator truck, The truck is completely stock. The battery light came on the other day and I figured the alternator had crapped out so I took it off and had it tested. Tested good so I put it back on. Then noticed that the charging system would work if I applied pressure to the small plug. So I took the connector apart and cleaned up the terminals and no change? Tried another alternator anyway just for the hell of it and same result. Screwed around with it a bit more today and had the idea that putting the bare leads from the plug on the terminals might shed some light. Well it worked, for about three minutes then the light was back on and it was making no V. moving the terminals around got it to make 12.6 but not the 14 it should be making. :dunno
Any insight would really help...Thanks in advance.
JW

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I would start looking at the wiring back from the connector. I suspect that there a break in there somewhere.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen on my 03 6.0 the voltage is not 14 like I am used to... and I have been thru more than on alt... so but running down the road it is just over 13V at the dash power port.... Is it cycling? The alt will not put voltage out all the time... only when the regulator tells it to..... I agree with argve, trace the wiring from the connector back, if I remeber correctly, the wiring is somewhat tight when it is plugged in..... it may be chaffed somewhere.....

Also, make sure that you keep the batts charged, or if they are low, unhook them. I had a situation recently the batts were run down in my Ex. When someone went to put the windows up they would not go up, so they turned the key to run, which attempted to run the WTS sequence on the truck.... when I was summoned to the truck and popped the hood I smelled HOT WIRING, so I quickly disconnected the batts. After charging them and reconnecting them, the smell was gone. When it was switched to run, it turned all the electric motors on, including the Vac pump. The vac pump was drawing much more current at the lower voltage that is should, and was heating up the wiring and motor....... just something to keep in mind.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online