Changing wait to start bulb

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
OK, I give. What is the trick to replacing the little bulb for the wait to start light?
I've pulled the little assembly out and tested the bulb from the rear holder contacts and it's dead, now how the heck do you get the thing out short of sledge hammer :dunno

I've twisted, turned , shaken a dead chicken over it, but the thing won't come out, the little holder just wiggles back and forth.

What am I missing here?

Thanks--------Robert

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Does it look anything like this? This one come out with a pair of needle noose pliers but I'm sure Mel would've figured that out a long time ago so it must be another version of wts light.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Ok here are the pics

Attachments

• 101_0107~1.jpg
    101_0107~1.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 101_0108~1.jpg
    101_0108~1.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 48

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't actually tried to replace it yet. Thought I'd see what happens here first. LOL

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If it is the same one, there is no science to it, even I did it with no trouble. I guess maybe the bulb has melted the plastic?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Them's the critters :backoff
Is there any particular part you had to squeeze, or did you just grab on and yank it out? I've lost my reading glasses, so I can'te really tell if there's a trick catch on there.
I fooled with that thing forever last night ( or rather this morning) and couldn't get them to do anything but wiggle back and forth, and the plastic isn't melted or anything like that.

------Robert

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Does it look anything like this? This one come out with a pair of needle noose pliers but I'm sure Mel would've figured that out a long time ago so it must be another version of wts light.

Got it;Sweet
A more accurate description would be to grab with needle nose pliers and twist the snot out of them until the sound of crunching plastic makes you cringe, then twist a little further and it comes right out :rotflmao
I bet the next time, they come right out.

---------Robert

Reaction score
I doubt I am a help here, but the owners manual for my '87 says that it is a 3 light setup. Wait, water, and (well I am not looking at it right now). Anyway it says that they are one combined unit, an meant to be replaced as one. On my taken appart dash, I only see two, and they are kinda glued in with silicone.

My guess is a PO twisted andcrunched them out, and replaced them. How about going ahead and doing that, but put in a couple of LEDs? :cool:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I doubt I am a help here, but the owners manual for my '87 says that it is a 3 light setup. Wait, water, and (well I am not looking at it right now). Anyway it says that they are one combined unit, an meant to be replaced as one. On my taken appart dash, I only see two, and they are kinda glued in with silicone.

My guess is a PO twisted and crunched them out, and replaced them. How about going ahead and doing that, but put in a couple of LEDs? :cool:

Once you persuade the things out, they seem to be pretty simple to replace. the bulbs are cheap. I don't feel like fooling with rigging leds right now, I just want to get this beast back on the road and finish up all these little rat killing bits so I don't have to fool with it for a while.

----------Robert

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it true that you can't replace the bulb on the 6.9 system? (late '83-86)? I don't need to yet..maybe never....well have to see.. just curious

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
How many IDI guys does it take to change a light bulb? :dunno

:D Sorry...I couldn't resist. LOL

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Not nearly as many are needed to change one chip :puke:

Haaaa haaa haa.

Sorry, but You left Yourself wide open there.:angel:

Danish1965

Reaction score
Does anyone know where you can get the replacement component for the route 3 lights set up. My plastic has cracked.