CDR question - 1988 International S1600 7.3 idi (dump body)

Saxonw12

Reaction score
That's correct. The drop is smaller because it's deeper where the sump isn't by a couple inches. The fords had to clear the crossmember so the pan hugged the block more. I can take all the measurements one would want from either front or rear pan. They look slightly different, but that's just me with a quick glance.

Barring the oil pickup location, would one be able to flip the pan front or rear? IDK if the bolt holes are symetric or if the front and rear main cover humps are the same size/shape.

IDK the oil capacity of the IH engines, if they differ or not from the ford ones. The bus's dipstick was aftermarket that was marked with an electric scribe by someone before me. First oil change I filled it with 11 quarts w/ fl1995 filter and remarked it with a cold chisel which put it at the center of the prior mark. BTW, both engines have the dipstick in different location. I had posted this at one time(here or on FB), but can't find it.
If memory serves me correctly the IH is almost 4 gallons of oil.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I think the pans are symmetrical, minus the oil pickup, but with a Welder that's something that could easily be changed

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Barring the oil pickup location, would one be able to flip the pan front or rear? IDK if the bolt holes are symetric or if the front and rear main cover humps are the same size/shape.

I think the pans are symmetrical, minus the oil pickup, but with a Welder that's something that could easily be changed
Without ever having the thought to measure, I do believe that the holes are symmetrical. The one thing that could nor be changed without A LOT of effort (and still may not work) is the fact that these oil pans have a relief along the rails that mount to the block. This is foe clearance for the dipstick. In fact, I think that the bulge, relief, what ever else someone may call extends downward (when installed) into the side of the oil pan. This is the best picture that I could get tonight. You can barely make out the bulge in front of the lighter colored (not oily) bolt. I can get a better picture tomorrow if someone wants one. Instead of trying to move this bulge, I think that it would be easier to cut the bottom of the pan off right below the rails and flip it around 180* compared to the rails.

Attachments

• 101_2079.JPG
    101_2079.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online