Caught with my pants down

wmoguy

Reaction score
That would cost 3-4 $$ per hour... be cheaper to just leave it running!

nah .246 an hour based on my per KW rate (assuming the specs I got from Kats on the phone is accurate.) It'll be on a timer, probably have it come on about 2 hrs before I generally leave in the morning. I can live with the .50 a day it'll run me provided I get results. Heck that stupid hot tub of ours costs about $2 a day and we never use the darn thing

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gf just got her electric bill... 906 kwh and $88.67 = about $.10/kwh. You setup was about 3kw wich would be around $.30/hr. Had my decimal in the wrong spot!!

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you run often enough that that 'wax drop out' doesn't happen. All that good stuff you did won't stop the tank from doing that drop out if it sits too long.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Just make sure you run often enough that that 'wax drop out' doesn't happen. All that good stuff you did won't stop the tank from doing that drop out if it sits too long.

Even with a 500w heater heating the front fuel tank?

wmoguy

Reaction score
The ole **** got a heat bath last night in a heated garage and it made her happy again. No more slushy fuel :) and she fired right up. I noticed some construction equipment tearing up the ground around the underground fuel tanks at the guilty fueling station. I wonder if they had some sort of water leak dumping into their fuel cells. :dunno

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ole **** got a heat bath last night in a heated garage and it made her happy again. No more slushy fuel :) and she fired right up. I noticed some construction equipment tearing up the ground around the underground fuel tanks at the guilty fueling station. I wonder if they had some sort of water leak dumping into their fuel cells. :dunno

Sounds about right. That would help explain the slush you found in your fuel filter. If I were you, I would unload that tank of fuel like the morning after a long night out! I bet after the thawing, you have some water in your fuel separator. Now the water, if that is what the problem is, is all at the bottom of your tank. That won't be fun to get out.

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sounds about right. That would help explain the slush you found in your fuel filter. If I were you, I would unload that tank of fuel like the morning after a long night out! I bet after the thawing, you have some water in your fuel separator. Now the water, if that is what the problem is, is all at the bottom of your tank. That won't be fun to get out.

wmoguy

Reaction score

I was surprised how little water actually came out of the separator (I have aftermarket fuel filter and water separator on this pickup) It had some in it, but not nearly what I thought i'd find. If I have to dump the fuel in the tank it will be easy, it's an easy job for my super sucker :)

On a Diff note: I had just enough time tonight to put the 250w silicone heater pad on my oil pan. HOLY CRAP THAT THING GETS HOT! :rotflmao It took all of about 15 minutes to install, get the power cord routed, etc... so I plug her in and start putting tools and stuff away. I come back to the pickup and crawl under it maybe 3 minutes after plugging it in for the 1st time and it was RED HOT, like to the point I couldn't leave my hand on the pad for more than a second or two! I need to get my oil temp gauge installed soon, I gotta feeling even on a cold morning I'll see very warm oil running thru the engine seconds after startup.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have the filter heater working? Just a suggestion if you do, just leave the key on without trying to start for about 10-15 minutes so it warms the fuel in the filter, then try to start. At idle very little fuel is used so it should stay running if the filter is not plugged. Turn key off then back on to cycle the GP's, see if that works for you. I've done it like that at about 15* starts every time, even my PSD starts better like that. Only thing is my PSD running lights come on with the key on, so I have to have good batteries.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Do you have the filter heater working? Just a suggestion if you do, just leave the key on without trying to start for about 10-15 minutes so it warms the fuel in the filter, then try to start. At idle very little fuel is used so it should stay running if the filter is not plugged. Turn key off then back on to cycle the GP's, see if that works for you. I've done it like that at about 15* starts every time, even my PSD starts better like that.

No i have an aftermarket filter head that has a 100w probe in it. It's powered with key on. Do you think that thing would suck down my batteries too much if I left it on for 10mins or so before starting?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No i have an aftermarket filter head that has a 100w probe in it. It's powered with key on. Do you think that thing would suck down my batteries too much if I left it on for 10mins or so before starting?

That all depends on how good your batteries are, but I wouldn't think so. Try it when you can put a charger on them if they run down.

MY PSD is a DD and batteries are 3 yrs old, Azone gold, never had a problem with doing that.