CAT group 31 batteries and 4/0 battery cables installation

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I bought the eff two fiddy, the PO told me that the DieHard Golds had been in it for at least six years and they'd probably need to be replaced. After some starting issues with WMO, bad lift pumps and changed fuel filters, they had cranked their last diesel starter reliably.
Fortunately, thanks to the Oilburners corner of the internet and punkmechanic, I acquired enough knowhow and the actual batteries to pull off this project. ;Sweet

I picked up these bad boys from Justin (punkmechanic) last Sunday:

You must be registered for see images

Here's what one of them looked like compared to the old DieHards:

I decided I wanted the absolute biggest and best wire I could find. I went to a local welding supply shop and picked up 20 feet of 4/0 welding lead:

The way the battery trays are mounted doesn't leave enough room for group 31 batteries width-wise. There's a wiring harness in the way on the outboard side of both batteries that needs to be rerouted. In order to do this, I removed the tray (the driver's side is the only one pictured; the passenger side procedure is exactly the same):

I then cut off the plastic clips that secure the harness to the core support and finessed them into place below where the modified tray would sit. You can just see the harness in the lower right-hand corner of the above picture.

Here's what the battery tray looked like:

The tray is just slightly too narrow to accommodate these semi-truck monsters. In order to have the group 31s fit in the stock tray, I cut the inboard edge with a grinder and used a large crescent wrench to barely bend the tabs out. Now they fit side to side:

And, as you can see the new batteries fit front to back with room to spare. However, they are noticeably taller than group 65s:

Not a lot of room. :eek: I order to be 100% sure that the positive lug on the new batteries wouldn't be jumping up into the hood and causing all sorts of problems, I stopped by NAPA and bought some battery hold-downs. Fortunately, the stock battery trays have holes in them for hold-downs, they're just not used in our application. ;Sweet

After I modified the drivers side tray, I made the ground cable and the cable that connects the two batteries together. Not very complicated, it just required pulling out the old cable, measuring it, cutting the new 4/0 to length and crimping on the lugs. Here's what I used for the crimping:

They're a set of Greenlee adjustable crimpers you can use for wire from size 8 to 4/0. Fortunately, I work in the electrical industry and was able to borrow these for the weekend from one of my coworkers. I'm pretty certain I wouldn't want to shell out the coin required to buy one of these.
After I made up the cable that connects the two batteries, I pulled the passenger battery tray out and made the same modifications to it as the driver side tray. I also re-routed the wiring harness in the same way.
The ground cable on the passenger side battery was relatively simple to make. The hardest cable to make was the passenger battery-to-starter cable. I got it cut, crimped and routed correctly and ended up reusing the bracket that holds it in place from the engine block. I messed up on the location of that and ended up having very little extra cable to bolt onto the passenger battery. I'll get that straightened out at another time.

Here's one of the lugs before I crimped it on the wire:

That was the only lug I had to bend because of space concerns. It was the one that bolted to the starter. You can see some gray goo coming out of the bottom of the lug. That's Noalox, a corrosion inhibitor. I'm hoping it will prevent corrosion of the fine stranded copper for as long as I own the truck. I also used heatshrink over the lugs once I crimped them on. I think it looks pretty good.

Here's the before:

And here's the after:

So, all in all, it was time well spent. It was a job done right and I don't think I'll be having any battery problems for awhile.
Plus, I've got 2000 CCAs under the hood. ;Sweet

Last edited:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice job, I cant wait to redo the wiring on mine. I got my 31's from napa :eek:

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
I've got 2 new interstates on mine I hope I don't gotta worry about battery trouble for a few years!!

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
4/0 is overkill but nothing wrong with that

2/0 is working more than good for me... 4/0 is only needed if doing long runs like if you wanted your batteries in the bed or something

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4/0 is overkill but nothing wrong with that

2/0 is working more than good for me...

The stock run from the pass. battery to the starter is 4/0.

However, you are correct. 4/0 is way beyond what's needed for the grounds. I figured it would be easier to make it all the same size.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was able to get group 31's in the Moose Truck without any mods, but the batts I got had the lugs moved slightly toward the center. That was a pain, and had me stretching the cables as far as they would go. For those rare folks who have the short wide radiator, your group 31's will fit, but they do touch the sides of the rad.

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two A/C Delco 875cca batteries in my truck, I have read that the starter will only use its required amount of amps and the remainder does nothing, now I'm no genius but could someone explain if what I have said is true or false and pros and cons

sassyrel

Reaction score
I have two A/C Delco 875cca batteries in my truck, I have read that the starter will only use its required amount of amps and the remainder does nothing, now I'm no genius but could someone explain if what I have said is true or false and pros and cons

till it gets cold outside--we in the north know of such endeavors--

Billyisgr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of us who do not have a crimper available, You can use solder, well atleast this is what I did. This only works on new fttings that are solid with no holes Hold the new fitting in a vise and heat it up till it melts a bunch of solder in it, then while the solder is in a molten state push the wire into the new fitting and let it cool.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get plugs of solder that are already the correct size for your particular cable size. Just throw em in and heat em up till their liquid, stuff the wire in there and hold it for a few seconds till it hardens up. A tip I figured out when I soldered the ends on my own 4/0 battery cables; if you're using welding cable, the individual strands are small enough that if you hit them directly with a torch, it will burn right through some of the strands in the cable.

jim x 3

1988 F-350 DRW
Reaction score
The stock run from the pass. battery to the starter is 4/0.

However, you are correct. 4/0 is way beyond what's needed for the grounds. I figured it would be easier to make it all the same size.

Nice work.

My 1988 documentation shows 0 gauge between batteries + and 2/0 from RH battery + to starter motor.

But I haven't measured the actual wire size in my truck.

Regards,

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The important thing to remember is that in addition to cold cranking amps, there is also the issue of time. Batteries are rated in amp hours, so the larger batteries will be able to provide maximum current for a longer time, then a smaller battery. When it gets cold, the current available from a battery is always less, so the bigger the battery, the more likely it will be to deliver sufficient amperage when it's capacity is diminished. Guys like the group 31 batteries, because they pack a larger punch for a longer time, under more severe circumstances.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i am running one G31 batt in my tool box on the bed. have 4/0 wire from there to starter, and 4/0 from starter to my juntion lug on the pass side fender. works great. didnt have any issues all last winter.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW I've been told that Group 31's will fit easily in '80-'86 trucks, will fit with difficulty in '87-'91 trucks, and are all but impossible in '92-'97 trucks due to hood clearance...although it seems like a nice thing to have if possible. I'm still wondering if there's some way to get them to work on the OBS trucks...? IMHO you can't have too much battery power ;Sweet