CAT diesel in C/K 2500

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys i want to know if i can shoehorn a cat diesel into a gmc c/k2500. i really want a straight 6 cat engine inside s GMC. i love my cummins I-6, but want a OBS ford 7.3 or OBS gmc. found a 95 6.5 with 73k. i really wanna put an I-6 in this truck, preferably a cat. if anyone knows how to do this, what engine to use and how much its gonna cost me. let me know. ill do most of the labor myself. but im really psyched about this i really wanna go for it. .. or i can just do the rockers, cab corners, and doors on my dodge:rotflmao

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey guys i want to know if i can shoehorn a cat diesel into a gmc c/k2500. i really want a straight 6 cat engine inside s GMC. i love my cummins I-6, but want a OBS ford 7.3 or OBS gmc. found a 95 6.5 with 73k. i really wanna put an I-6 in this truck, preferably a cat. if anyone knows how to do this, what engine to use and how much its gonna cost me. let me know. ill do most of the labor myself. but im really psyched about this i really wanna go for it. .. or i can just do the rockers, cab corners, and doors on my dodge:rotflmao
you just might want to measure the length of the CAT you are intending on shoehorning before attempting to start this project.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
The 2 choices are a 3116, or 3126/C7. Not exactly the 2 desirable engines to have, but a slight step above a 3208. Here's one in a 90s Ford.
You must be registered for see images attach

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you send me some info on the engines you just mentioned, i really want to see how this is going to work out. what would an engine from air cleaner to oil pan cost.. im blind on this project just wanna try somethin out what tranny would i have to use also, would i have to alter the cross members at all. i know motor mounts and tranny mounts are going to be from scratch

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
www.copart.com do some searching. Lots of USFReddaway 6 wheel tractors with 3126's. Go for about 3-4k typically.

On the other hand, have a friend (cetanefreak- he's on here) has two F-700's at work, one with a ********, one said CAT. ******** gets twice the mpg of the CAT, with less maintenance.

I almost went 3126/C7 in mine, but logic talked me out of it.

Little higher than what I forecast, but prime example here:
http://www.copart.com/c2/heavy_duty...e2s1&lotId=25013300&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS

Better Example:

http://www.copart.com/c2/heavy_duty...e5s2&lotId=25135950&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS

Last edited:

Gary79F250

The Bawston Whalah
Reaction score
I really would recomend not putting a 7 liter cat into anything. It hasn't ben brought up yet, but if you have yellow worm fever you might look at a 3304 or 3306 a much better choice than a 7.2 Clatterpillar.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Up in your neck of the woods, Camerota should have one. Better to go see one for yourself, then decide on your level of ambition. The C7/3126 uses the same injection system as a Powerstroke, but is way pickier on doing mods. They dont hold up to hardly anything over stock power. I would highly advise against either of those 2 Cats. They aint no 3406B!

Last edited:

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2 choices are a 3116, or 3126/C7. Not exactly the 2 desirable engines to have, but a slight step above a 3208. Here's one in a 90s Ford.
You must be registered for see images attach

these two engines, what am i lookin at for price, as well as maintenance, price and power. and most of all reliability. i want the reliability of a CAT equipment engine with power so i can haul, tow and just have a sweet cat pickup lol. can someone explain the difference between the 3116, 3126/c7, the 3304, 3306 and 3406b. i have no idea about cat engines, just know that there are alot of them lol. sorry if this is alot to ask. i want to try and do this

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I have PERSONALLY ran all three of the above engines....3116, 3126 and the new C7 engines....I wouldn't even BOTHER trying to stuff them into a pickup...but that's just me. I am a HUGE caterpillar fan, no other person is a larger yellow lover than I (I actually have a cat tattoo on my right shoulder) but the new engines are NOT what the old ones were.

You can make a TON more power with a 12V or a DT360, have a WAY easier time putting them in a truck, and it will be easier to fix.....ever go to Caterpillar for parts??

I am not trying to tell you what to do, as this is your truck and you should be able to do with it what you want, but the small Cat engines are not what they are cracked up to be.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
really? thanks for the info man. i really thought they had the power/reputation of the equipment engines. i dont wanna throw a cummins in there, its been done too many times, and i have one. also if i was gonna do the dt360 id do it in a ford. ****. i wanted to do this lol

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
really? thanks for the info man. i really thought they had the power/reputation of the equipment engines. i dont wanna throw a cummins in there, its been done too many times, and i have one. also if i was gonna do the dt360 id do it in a ford. ****. i wanted to do this lol

They are basically known to us truckers as a "throw away" engine. No sleeves, no real rebuildable parts and not enough power for the trucks. My 3406B series cat will RUN past them 3116, 3126 and C7 cats like I am empty, but usually I haul 3 tons more (overweight). They have a MAXIMUM 330 horse tune from factory, and this is pushing the limits.

They drink the fuel like it's going out of style, burn more oil than the bigger engines (from bring run wide open just to keep up, if they can) and their compacted in there so bad you can't work on them.

HOWEVER, if you got a low mileage unit and put THAT in a truck, it might not be too bad in a smaller truck.

Check the weight on a fully dressed C7 though...1500 pounds...

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
really? i thought these were the "built to be rebuilt" cat engines. i thought all of em were lol i dont know a damn thing about em though, all i know is how to operate one or two of em lol is the 3406b an engine you can throw into a pickup? or is that a engine in a semi, and not one found in a medium duty truck?

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you mentioned these are newer series engines also, im looking for something a little older that can handle alot of miles at stock power, i have no clue what id be looking for. but something thats built to last