Carbon in used oil !!!!

goesfisherman

Free Black Diesel
Reaction score
Veggie oil is getting to hard to get. I am ready to go to WMO but a little concerned about it making carbon deposits in the cylinders over time. Anybody ever pulled the heads after burning WMO for several miles? If so what mix was you running? All input would be great. Just don't want to mess my 97 7.3 Powerstroke up.:thanks: :thanks:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
well i have been running WMO for the past few years and i need to change osme glow plugs. its not pulling the head but should give me an indication. might have to run some ATF or bio to clean it out if it is built up.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
usually a gallon or two mixed in to around 50/50

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I mixed some up the othernight, the two on the left are WVO/#2, WVO/#2+2 cycle, the 5 in the middle are UsedATF/#2, and the right 2 are new Motor oil/naphtha all but the right 2 are about 50/50

Attachments

• Picture 035.jpg
    Picture 035.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 111

sassyrel

Reaction score
that is a question i asked longer ago--id be more worried about the carbon maybe hurting the pump??? the question i asked was--is that carbon hard--or soft???? my injection pump man said the pump will stand 5 microns, the only question i have is?? what if the 5 microns is hard as diamond??? and as ive stated many times--just make your own water injection--to come on with boost--and it will steam clean the cylinders out--

Angelo225544

Reaction score
New Member Uses WMO

I'm new to this forum, but I recently started running my 1982 300D (236,000 miles) on 10% WMO. So far, no problems, but I'm not ready to say it's trouble free yet. My thinking on this is that used motor oil, properly handled and filtered prior to use, has already passed through my car's oil filter countless thousands of times. I can't help but think if used motor oil has abrasive qualities, the damage would already have been done when it was the only thing between my connecting rod bearings and crankshaft. This oil will now have to pass through 3 more filters on its way to my injector pump. In theory, anything that makes it past these filters is small enough to not damage the IP or injectors. I think it is fair to say that Diesel fuel+10%WMO has more lubricity than straight Diesel fuel. As far as carbon and soot, all diesels produce both, and are designed to self clean due to the extreme temperatures in the combustion chamber - much the same way a self cleaning oven does. I have never been anxious to try WVO - too many potential headaches. WMO contains more energy than either diesel or WVO, and has lubricating properties that should do more good than harm. I'll report if I have any problems.

Cucamongan

Huh?
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, but I recently started running my 1982 300D (236,000 miles) on 10% WMO. So far, no problems, but I'm not ready to say it's trouble free yet. My thinking on this is that used motor oil, properly handled and filtered prior to use, has already passed through my car's oil filter countless thousands of times. I can't help but think if used motor oil has abrasive qualities, the damage would already have been done when it was the only thing between my connecting rod bearings and crankshaft. This oil will now have to pass through 3 more filters on its way to my injector pump. In theory, anything that makes it past these filters is small enough to not damage the IP or injectors. I think it is fair to say that Diesel fuel+10%WMO has more lubricity than straight Diesel fuel. As far as carbon and soot, all diesels produce both, and are designed to self clean due to the extreme temperatures in the combustion chamber - much the same way a self cleaning oven does. I have never been anxious to try WVO - too many potential headaches. WMO contains more energy than either diesel or WVO, and has lubricating properties that should do more good than harm. I'll report if I have any problems.

your cars oil filter is somewhere between 19 and 25 microns, so it depends what micron filters you have in your car/filtering system

Edit: a Wix 51385 filter only filters to 32 microns :eek:
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51385

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The decision to run WMO is strictly a financial one. Remember that. You WILL spend money, and you WILL harm your engine running WMO. I've been doing it for 4 years now. I run very high percentages of WMO in the summer and low to none in the winter. I've been through one set of glow plugs, one set of injectors, an I.P. and am probably slowly killing this engine with carbon deposits. So I've probably spent at last a grand in maintanance. BUT, over the 4 years, I have saved at least $5700 in fuel assuming I run a 50/50 mix of diesel and WMO averaged out over the year. That's enough money to buy another engine when this one craps out, and it's not done yet!