Can you have a RDT with a bypass filter?

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, and Thank You for reading this thread.

I'm going to run a road draft tube using the Banks adapter that fits infront of the oil fill. I just finished the install of that tonight (pict attached).

But, I was thinking of running a bypass filter (Amsoil or Filtration Solutions) with a return to the oil filler cap. But, with all the crankcase pressure venting out right in front of the oil filler, do you think I will lose oil out the RDT?

I'm a few days from getting this truck running again. It has been sitting (getting modified) for over a year now.

Thanks for any ideas.

Archie

Attachments

• CIMG3050.jpg
    CIMG3050.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 25
  • CIMG3051.jpg
    CIMG3051.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 21
  • CIMG3052.jpg
    CIMG3052.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 24
  • CIMG3053.jpg
    CIMG3053.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
You could run your return from the filter into one of the drain ports on the head. They are 1/4" NPT IIRC and located on the front and back sides of the head.

That's were my bypass return is run and it works well!

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks CDX, I will look for those ports in the head today. What type of bypass filter are you running? Do you have any pictures?

Thanks,
Archie

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
CDX, I am also curious about seeing some pictures of your setup. In theory, the oil port on the head (30-40psi) would be pushing oil back through that line and up into your RDT tube.

Archie, I have my RDT running exactly the same way that you have your system routed. Adding a filter though seems like a bad idea as it will eventually plug up with oil mist and start pressurizing the crankcase. Hell, I had a small single square of plain steel wool over the end my RDT to keep mice out while my truck was sitting (hadn't been driven with the new RDT yet). I forgot to take it off when I drove to town for fuel, sure enough it had plugged and pressurized my crankcase enough to force BOTH valve covers to leak as well as my oil pan. Thus, I advise against it. Not only that, but it does not reduce the amount of visible blowby.

Here is an article I read about a catch-can on a 7.3L powerstroke, similar to the type that is used on cummins engines: http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/ccv1.php

I shot off an email to the guy that built that system and he says it had very little restriction as you can see from his tests. However, even as it did catch a good amount of oil, you still had to change the sponges when you drained it or else they would plug up. Also, it in no way reduced the amount of visible blowby. If you intend to run an RDT, you will either have to accept the sight, route it differently (maybe behind the cab) or go back to a CDR....

-Dave

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You could simply remove a valve cover and braze on a weld up AN fitting available from Summit to attach the return line from the bypass instead of welding it to the plate on the pump cover. It all goes back into the engine. That would avoid a bottleneck of excess oil splashing around right there at your breather adapter. Or there are some other options, You could go with a dual remote and have teh whole works going in and out through the spin on adapter and not have to plumb anything hard into the engine. I might be able to help you out there.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Ill get some pictures tomorrow.

The plug I was referring lead to the drain passages from the top of the heads. They are located on the front and back side next to the big freeze plug.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Ill get some pictures tomorrow.

The plug I was referring lead to the drain passages from the top of the heads. They are located on the front and back side next to the big freeze plug.

Oh, I'm sorry I thought you meant the plugs on the lower side of the block...my bad! Can't wait for the pictures though, really want to see your setup! ;Sweet

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Sorry about the delay in the pictures. Dang weekend festivities :sly

You must be registered for see images attach

Omnious

Reaction score
The question I have been thinking about is, can you run the RDT to a point on the exhaust some place after the down pipe similar to what a race car does for crank case evacuation?

What affect would this have?

Omnious

Reaction score
Well I can make sure it is always in vaccum with a inline check valve. I'm just not a genius on diesel and don't know if diesel like having vaccum at this location in the engine.

I am going with the RDT either way, just trying to figure out all of my options prior to make a change.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
exactly the point with a variable amount of air flowing past the tip, then you might end up with a pretty good bit of vacum on the crankcase and I cant really imagine that being good

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is already a vacuum in the crankcase. that's what the factory system does. it takes advantage of the vacuum in the intake after the too small air filter. vacuum in the crankcase is good.

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CDX825,

Thanks for the pictures and the reply. I will use your idea for the return to the head. I had no idea those plugs were even there. NTZ bypass filters look big. Is there a cartridge filter inside?

Archie

Last edited:

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Yup it has a cartrige inside. Kinda looks like an industrial roll of paper towels. It holds about 2 quarts of oil.

I picked it up off of ebay. Some guy had a lot of the things and was selling them dirt cheap. I got the housing and one element for about $20 shipped to my door. Also picked up two dozen replacement elements for about $100 shipped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online