Cam Removal Tool wanted to rent PLEASE

JSVD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

If you've seen my other posts i'm tearing into my truck at the moment. One thing being replaced will be the cam. Does anyone have the cam removal tool laying around their shop? If so PM me or leave a reply. I'd love to rent it from you for a month. I'm in the White Salmon WA / Hood River, OR area.

Thanks,

Jared

JSVD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bump... i'll be down at the cam in a day or two. It can wait of course... but i'd like to keep the ball rolling. Anyone know someone with one that I can PM?

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
this is a little different but try checking craigslist tools in the areas you will be traveling... you have no idea what you can find..

i paid $10 for HAZET mercedes valve adjustment tools.
$20 for 2gauge 20-foot long home made jumper cables
$17 brand new dremel
$20 brand new die hard charger..

you never know. but whenever i search diesel.. i never find much

bump... i'll be down at the cam in a day or two. It can wait of course... but i'd like to keep the ball rolling. Anyone know someone with one that I can PM?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you are changing out your cam bearings, you will need a tool. but if you cam bearings are wiped, you have bigger problems. otherwise, you don't need anything special to pull a cam other than a healthy dose of common sense.

JSVD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping I won't have to replace the cam bearings as there shouldn't be anything wrong with them. I do however still want to find the handle which attaches to the front of the cam as i'll be doing this swap in a barn with no ability to fabricate a handle.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping I won't have to replace the cam bearings as there shouldn't be anything wrong with them. I do however still want to find the handle which attaches to the front of the cam as i'll be doing this swap in a barn with no ability to fabricate a handle.
you're thinking a small block chevy. they have cam handles. nothing like that exists for the 6.9/7.3 IDI.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you find out you need to replace the bearings I have a bearing tool I used on my 7.3 build. I just put a bolt in it and pulled slow...Its kinda heavy so be ready. I'm in WA 80 miles north of Seattle.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need the tool, I just went through this. If you keep the cam gear on, you can hold on to it. I had pulled mine off, and just kept my allen wrench in the bolt to help stabilize while pulling it out. If you can find a bolt that's probly better, but it is a fine threaded bolt. You might not have one laying around. Just go slow pulling it out so you don't ding up the lobe surfaces. Don't over think this, it's not a big deal pulling it or putting it back in. The hardest part is pulling the gear, fuel lobe and thrust bearing....harder is putting them back on.

JSVD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks y'all. Racer30 i'll let you know if i need that tool. Fozz, you're right i need to not overthink it. I'm working in a barn so i just want to make sure I have everything lined up to avoid doing this in the cold.