Caliper hanging up?

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
So I figured new calipers would have solved this issue... but... a few hundred miles later I have a left front caliper hanging up. I don't recall which side hung up before but I think it was the passenger side.
Can anyone offer a suggestion as to why this might happen? Is there a common issue? Break lines maybe? Something ells going on?
Thanks ya'll

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Sometimes, as they age, the rubber brake lines can have a loose piece inside that can slow down the returning brake fluid which acts like a caliper is hanging up.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes, as they age, the rubber brake lines can have a loose piece inside that can slow down the returning brake fluid which acts like a caliper is hanging up.
I don't know exactly why it works however very often the rubber flexible lines have a metal tab wrapped around them to support it and if you remove that tab the calipers return to normal operation.

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
What kind of lube for the channels and keys? Hoses are cheap enough, I'll do the hoses and channels at the same time and give her a try again...

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a caliper hanging up on my '73 ford. After replacing everything on the truck, I fould the pushrod through the brake booster was adjusted out too far and would not disengage the master cylinder

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anti seize, or disc brake lube (backing plate **** at the store.)
Do I need to mention
SPARINGLY

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to add, another member here helped me out by mentioning that if your calipers are coated, that will take up extra space where the slides/keys are and keep that brake from centering correctly and it drags.

We chipped off the coating and his worked fine, mine works better but not all the way.

Edit: it was @chillman88 !

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup saburai and I found that when we did calipers on his new truck, the paint on the slides was causing the calipers to lock up.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I had a caliper hanging up on my '73 ford. After replacing everything on the truck, I fould the pushrod through the brake booster was adjusted out too far and would not disengage the master cylinder
I had this happen on my Bronco once.

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
Ok, I think I understand the issue...
I knocked out the keys and the caliper remained stuck. I lubed the keys with anti-seize and reinstalled them.

Next, I tried to bleed it with my handy-dandy vacuum pump. I can't get a drop of brake fluid... but... the caliper released. So, I'm thinking this is indeed a failed hose which may be blocked on the inside somehow. Hoses unavailable until tomorrow. Anyone disagree with the diagnosis?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, I've seen it happen before. Could very well be the issue.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The hoses aren't very expensive. There's a good chance that they're the originals too.

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
Yeah, they are really cheap.
It’s a good lesson. If you’re doing calipers do the hoses with them. I won’t make that mistake again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online