California trucks?

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aparently the do the snap test in maryland to! which i didnt know although its only for trucks over 10,000 gvw or combined

DragRag

Reaction score
I recall mention here somewhere (I think) that California is going to have a draconian situation where diesels prior to some certain year/ technology either cannot be registered at all, or else the costs become prohibitive-- such that older trucks may become attractively priced for out of state buyers.

A friend of mine here in VT would like to find an old/ simple/ clean diesel pickup in the 3/4 - 1 ton range, and he'd be up for a trip out and a drive back-- so I was trying to remember the details on the above to help him look into it.

Any leads, links, etc., appreciated-- or tell me if this was some figment of my imagination.

Thanks

3/4 and 1 ton trucks are not affected by the repower or take it off the road law that is now on the books here. Also, there is some leeway, if you have less then four trucks they are giving a little longer according to my CHP friend(2014). We are smog testing all diesel trucks now 98' and up as stated, but unless you have a truck 14k GVW or higher you will not be ran off the road by the Cali smog ****'s, that is unless you are pouring black smoke. If you have a fleet of four or more, it is get it off the road now F450's and up, or put a new engine in it that conforms to the new particulate standards. I doubt many will repower, come 2011 there will be a lot of F450+ heading out of state. I often times question why I live here, then I remember, oh ya I can't make the money I make here anywhere else. It is worth putting up with the **** that goes on here in the long run. Plus I am a bandit, and don't follow all the stupid nonsensical laws that are written and passed by idiot MF politicians that don't represent my conservative values.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Yeah, no snap test here. I had my truck tested two months ago and I told the guy at the smog place that it smoked a little, he told me he would make it pass.
Once he had the truck tied down on the dyno, he ran the throttle up real slow, so the truck wouldnt smoke and probably didnt run the rpm up as high as he should have.
I slipped him an extra 20 bucks on top of the $43.00 for the test.

no one has ever done that to me....but then again i work for a state referee, i answer straight to the BAR

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
. I often times question why I live here, then I remember, oh ya I can't make the money I make here anywhere else. I

News flash, there are a WHOLE lot of places in this country where you can make a very small fraction of what you would in CA and have a standard of living that is 5 times better. A buck goes a heck of a lot farther here in middle America than it does there , and your blood pressure rides a whole lot lower ;Sweet Where I live, when I hear gunshots, I know it's just someone out hunting or out sighting in their gun. Out in CA that sound usually meant it was time to patch some holes in the house from the latest gang violence migrating through the area -cuss

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a fleet of four or more, it is get it off the road now F450's and up, or put a new engine in it that conforms to the new particulate standards. I doubt many will repower, come 2011 there will be a lot of F450+ heading out of state.

You can also retro-fit an exhaust device (DPF). We just put 6 or 7 of them on this year at work to the tune of $15K each.

But, to address the OPs thought, come on out to CA if you can afford to do it. There are lots of nice rust-free trucks for reasonable-ish money.
Travis..

DragRag

Reaction score
News flash, there are a WHOLE lot of places in this country where you can make a very small fraction of what you would in CA and have a standard of living that is 5 times better. A buck goes a heck of a lot farther here in middle America than it does there , and your blood pressure rides a whole lot lower ;Sweet Where I live, when I hear gunshots, I know it's just someone out hunting or out sighting in their gun. Out in CA that sound usually meant it was time to patch some holes in the house from the latest gang violence migrating through the area -cuss

I'll post some pics of where I live, low key low stress. Yet, I have the fast pace, and mega market of Silicon valley. I have been all over the country and I am aware of what is out there. Although I am not an employee any longer, I still have a journeyman card for the local pipe fitters union which is the highest paid in the country at about $50.47 an hour on the check. Total package is about $77 per hour. For a guy showing up with a lunch box tool bag, and a company truck with the fuel paid for that isn't bad. All that, and houses can be bought in Hollister now just 45 minutes from the high dollar action. You do the math, everything else cost wise is close to the same. Let assume I pay 10% more in taxes then most other places. Still makes sense to live here cash wise. If I go back as a foreman, which I would I would make another $5 and hour on top. Throw in all the rust free diesel trucks I want, and the good weather and you have a cocktail of utopia. That being said there are bad places to live around here, but this is not one of them. I have been trying to talk myself into leaving for years for the sake of friendlier people, but I have surrounded myself with a pretty good group that I am not sure i could leave now. Great church to boot. I know Californications down falls, I am 7 generation here in the golden state. You want to know something ask me I can probably tell you. if nothing you can come here, put up with it for 10 years and bounce out with a *** of cash in your pocket if you are fiscally conservative. Anyway pics coming soon, you will understand what I am talking about after I post them. It's like a mini mecca where I am at. I know there are many great areas, and I was a Cali hater to at one time, but I digress.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A buck goes a heck of a lot farther here in middle America than it does there , and your blood pressure rides a whole lot lower ;Sweet Where I live, when I hear gunshots, I know it's just someone out hunting or out sighting in their gun. Out in CA that sound usually meant it was time to patch some holes in the house from the latest gang violence migrating through the area -cuss

That pretty much sums up my feelings about California.
It's a nice place to visit, but I sure wouldn't wanna live there.

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nevada could have a ***** of a test compared to kali.hug.a.tree.if.you.like.rob.reiner.and.friends. The truck is put on a dyno and tested for opacity in gear, under load. I have yet to see an actual 'snap test' done by a tech as stated on their web site.

For those who aren't familiar with Nevada, only two counties do emission testing of gas or diesel cars and pickups. They are Washoe and Clark counties. In those two counties diesel powered vehicles 14,000 GVWR and less have to pass the opacity test.

Vehicles 14,001 and above are subject to a random "J1667 Snap Acceleration Test" at weigh stations in those two counties.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya well you think ca smog is bad pa inspection is worse all emissions are based on the on a there and appear to be working thing for pre obdII but that means if the muffler is still attached and makes it quieter (holes and all) it technically should pass but another mechanic will fail any muffler that has rust on it and they both are right because its in their judgment
also a mechanic can fail a vehicle for emissions if he believes somethings been modified (hollowed cat) then the whole cat has to be replaced with a new one (not junk yard one) to pass

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya well you think ca smog is bad pa inspection is worse all emissions are based on the on a there and appear to be working thing for pre obdII but that means if the muffler is still attached and makes it quieter (holes and all) it technically should pass but another mechanic will fail any muffler that has rust on it and they both are right because its in their judgment
also a mechanic can fail a vehicle for emissions if he believes somethings been modified (hollowed cat) then the whole cat has to be replaced with a new one (not junk yard one) to pass