Cab Water leak . . . .

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two different trucks (86,87 F250) with a water leak inside the cab in same location.
Under the dash, upside down above the non~existent clutch pedal.
Any ideas?
Meanwhile the '94 idiT crew~cab is doing just fine.

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your cowl rusted out inside?

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys ain't funny! 'Cuz it makes too much sense.
Oh fudge.
Thanks for the tip. I will be looking at that soon enough.

Fort Ford

Reaction score
I like to use a garage door replacement weather seal, goes on the bottom of your garage door. Any hardware store will have a pack for less than $15, usually one pack will get you 2 vehicles done. I run it along the entire length of the cowl instead of the short section the normal cowl seal covers, and then seal it with 3m weatherstripping adhesive, as well as putting the screws the old cowl seal had back in with some washers to give it extra grab. It's a pretty fun little project, gets a little tricky getting it installed just perfect but once you get it, it seals up your hood to the cowl like a champ. It's held up for a year now without showing any signs of issues.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a chance that your windshield is leaking too.

10-4 on that.
Mine leaked across the top and across the bottom.
Sucks when you need your rain gear and Umbrella to drive.
I had a Glass Shop cut the Windshield out. Then tape it in for the 25 mile drive home.
Pulled the glass, then cleaned the area the glass sits in down the bare metal and POR`d it.
Had Glass Shop reseal it with a new Windshield. Think it was $175.

There are 9 clips across the bottom for the molding, and 16 up the sides and across the top which are different. Shop was out and i did a bunch of searching to finally find them.

As mentioned there could be some rust under the Cowel air vent. I removed it and cleaned the old cauking out, and used a needle Scaler, scraper, and what ever to get her cleaned and then POR`d it.

On either end of the Air Box are the drains which can get packed with leaves and crap, and could possibly cause a rust issue. Pull the inner plastic fender back where it connects to the cab. Reach up and there is a rubber Duck Bill drain. pull it off and clean out the crap.

I went through the car wash 2 days ago, and have a leak on the drivers side. Was wet around the Dimmer Switch and where the Parking brake cable goes through the floor. This one has me stumped.

At least going through the last couple months of old man winter, no leaks.

I swapped the 86 Cowel with the slots to one off an 88 with the small holes to keep out the leaves and crap.
The replaced the old cracked, broken rubber Cowel seal to one for a Garage door.

https://www.garagedoorstuff.com/product/garage-door-weather-seal-wood-doors/

I cut the top part off the old seal, and used the lower part to secure the new seal to the truck. It has a metal strip in it and figured it might hold it more secure. Also used longer screws.

There is a difference with the Wiper Motor between 86 and 88. There is a curved part over the motor on the 88, and I didn`t notice, and had the darnest time to get it to lay flat. Had a bulge in it, because of a lip sticking out. Next on Iam grinding it off.

You can see it in the 10th and 11th picture Scotty4 posted above.

other than that it works perfect.

Goat

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online