Cab Mounts - OEM or synthetic?

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting my 85 F250 back on the road after sitting for two years. In addition to building the motor and installing a turbo, I've decided to raise the cab & bed 2". The kit I have is designed to stack 2" blocks on top of the stock cab mounts. Well, as I look at some of those mounts, they're looking a little ragged after 30+ years. Soooo, I figure I'll add those to the replace list. The choices seem to be
  • Stock OEM pads LMC Truck) $374
  • Aftermarket polyurethane pads (LMC Truck) $90
Pretty healthy price difference. What's the difference in ride quality? I'd like to know good and bad about each option before I spend my money. :confused:

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped to the Polyurethane bushings on my 92 because the factory rubber mounts were shot. It definitely is a little stiffer- I think those soft rubber factory bushings are designed for ride comfort. The new poly bushings are stiff, but not too bad. The nice thing about the poly bushings is that all the mounts are level- the cab and bed line up nicely now and the doors shut smoother because the cab's not all twisted up with blown out bushings.

Ryan

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus poly bushings never realy wear out, and they are WAY cheaper.. I put poly in my truck when i did the body swap..

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Use the poly, the rubber will be thrashed again in 5 years, the poly will stay put and you will need the clearance for the turbo. Just remember the rubber doesn't give so, even with locktite on the threads, the fasteners have a habit of coming loose with the poly ( at least they do on my rig wth a super stiff bed that doesn't flex any )

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Use the poly, the rubber will be thrashed again in 5 years, the poly will stay put and you will need the clearance for the turbo. Just remember the rubber doesn't give so, even with locktite on the threads, the fasteners have a habit of coming loose with the poly ( at least they do on my rig wth a super stiff bed that doesn't flex any )

Lock nuts;Sweet

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. Reklund, it's good to hear that your actual experience mirrors what I've heard - "Firmer, but not bad". The fact that the ride is firm is no show stopper. I mean after all, it's a 30 year old work truck. So the fact that the poly bushings don't make the ride awful is great news! ;Sweet

GW, I absolutely understand about the cost thing. That's part of what got me thinking about options. Greatly increased lifespan and greatly reduced cost. Uh-huh. I don't hafta be a math major to see that advantage! Thanks for the real world reality check! :D

RLDSL, the stability and strength were real big factors. It's funny that you mentioned the turbo clearance thing. That's exactly why I'm looking to do the lift in the first place! Years ago, a diesel guy whose opinions I trust a great deal - Dave Sponaugle - said the first thing to install is a 2" body lift. It makes engine R&R easier, clears the turbo DP and makes future engine repairs and maintenance much easier. I love your thinkin! ;Sweet ;Sweet

Thanks again guys. I'll order a set tonight. I've been looking at LMC for their poly set. The bushings are stock height and I'd add the 2" poly spacers on top of them. The advantage with LMC is they sell a set for the cab and a set for the bed. I could buy the cab set and not waste money on more bushings for the bed. Now what would be sweet is to find a set that already had the 2" height increase built in. Oh yeah!! :D

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
The rubber ones I believe do come with all the hardware. The poly u hafve to reuse your hardware

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rubber ones I believe do come with all the hardware. The poly u hafve to reuse your hardware

Well 9 times outa 10 the sleeves are still good, if not rotted just por-15 them and re-install. As for bolts, his body lift comes with new ones so he's good there..

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard that poly body mounts will squeak quite a bit and therefore make the cab louder...but, that's only hear-say; I've never dealt directly with them. What do those who've used poly mounts have to say about that?

I'm going to need to do something about my body mounts sooner rather than later and am not sure what the best way to go is on this (I have precisely zero intention of lifting my truck any); I've heard arguments both ways...so I will be following this thread closely ;Sweet

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine don't squeak at all, but I put a small amount of silicone grease on the bushings where they contact the body and frame when I installed them. I was in NM when they were installed and live in NV now, so they don't get exposed to lots of moisture.

My sleeves were a bear to remove, but I cleaned them up with a wire wheel and painted them before I reinstalled them. So far no issues.

I do have a few more interior noises, but I can't say for sure if it's the bushings or the almost 20 year old plastic interior.

Ryan

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the black ones from energy suspension. Did you read Heath's article about this process? He did a great job outlining the steps really well. I am happy with the energy suspension stuff. About 80 bucks if I remember.

good luck

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i read somehwere, dont hold me to it, that the red are stiffer than the black. also i used poly bushings for the front end of my dana 44 swap on my f50 and they squeaked like a ****...i guess i didnt add enough grease, since i regreased em its be quite.

my friend put the poly bushings on his truck and it doesnt ride bad. as said above it makes things nicer to allign body panels and such because rubber will compress more making things as little harder to allign since u can torque one more than another if ur not using a torque wrenech.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used poly bushings on my 79 when I swapped the cab. Didn't ride any rougher than the ancient flattened out rubber ones. I'll be using poly's on my 86 when I get around to it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online