C6 tranny

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to get around 16 mpg on the highway in my idi with C6. That was going around 65 mpg highway with 3:55 gears.
Put 3.08’s in it and sold rig shortly after to father in law who regularly gets around 18-19 mpg. Good transmission.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am pleasantly surprised at such good mileage with a C6. perhaps with good tuning of IP I can do this also. I have a 6.9 with C^ and 3.55 rear end. and 4X4. I am by no means an expert but the consensus on this forum does not bode well for that high of mpg with the c6. I have considered an E4OD. I have one that needs rebuilt but considered it cheaper and/or easier/less time consuming to add the gear vendors and swap in my 410 rear end.
I have a spare e40d and torque converter here at my shop

Runningaford

Reaction score
I am pleasantly surprised at such good mileage with a C6. perhaps with good tuning of IP I can do this also. I have a 6.9 with C^ and 3.55 rear end. and 4X4. I am by no means an expert but the consensus on this forum does not bode well for that high of mpg with the c6. I have considered an E4OD. I have one that needs rebuilt but considered it cheaper and/or easier/less time consuming to add the gear vendors and swap in my 410 rear end.

The rear end was a replacement, I'm not sure of gearing; my guess it would be high. The mileage could easily be explained by that. I did see it first hand. The last road trip was from Austin, to North Idaho(2100 miles) around 16 years ago, and on that trip, the average was 18mpg. I think at the time, the 7.3 that's in it, had around 50k miles since new.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Muleman, ford stopped using typeF in 1978 or so. FYI, It wont hurt anything just letting you know.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Muleman, ford stopped using typeF in 1978 or so. FYI, It wont hurt anything just letting you know.

Good point. My transmission rebuilder recommended using dextron III/Mercon in it after he rebuilt my C6, and said it was a much better fluid to use even in transmissions that require type F.
Also looking at the original trans dipstick in my 87 idi before I sold it, it said dextron III/mercon right on the stick.

fjkontur

Reaction score
had c6 rebuilt with extra clutch and shift kit . its behind my 87 4x4 hauls 13 big ass hay bails with no problem. sh-- can the e40d .