C6 to ZF6 swap whose done it?

IDI87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I'm getting tired of my gearvendors giving me problems and I'm thinking about swapping the C6 out for a manual. I know I'm not the first to do this, my question is how much did it cost and how difficult is it to do?

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive read somewhat into this as Im changing from a C6 to ZF5.. from what I read its a huge hassle and quite a bit of fabrication involved.. not worth it imo but it can be done.

IDI87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's kinda what I was concerned about. Looking at it, it looks like it'll be more work than I have time for.

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stick to the zf5 I'm sure there are plenty in CA, I might be driving over to pick one up.. can't find them here in AZ.

IDI87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you find one around by me I'll grab it and sit on it until you get over this way. I'm in Pomona CA.

I probably won't get around to any serious work for at least 6 months. Way too many irons in the fire right now. But at least I can get an idea of what I'm in for now. Lol first thing first is get my AC working.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the consensus is that a zf6 is not worth the extra cost and work over a zf5 swap, they have very similar gearing

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you referring to a ZF6 bolting to an IH idi? Sounds like you're talking ZF5.. but I'm coming over from German cars so I've got a lot to learn!
ahh yes, i read wrong.

the 6 isnt worth the trouble. only really gaining a low hole. and if you need a lower first, find a 460 zf5 and mod it to bolt up.

IDI87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no fab required. you can use all factory stuff if you find a donor thats a match to your truck...

Will a 5 speed bolt right up to my 6.9? I know I need the linkage and master cylinder etc.

IDIiot you have any manual trucks in your parts yard?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HarleyCummins

Members online

No members online now.