C6 to ZF5, stupid clutch linkage hookup problem

sak778

Reaction score
Towcat how do you tell them apart? are the early ones stamped sheet metal and the later ones the cast magnesium/aluminum/potmetal'ish looking stuff?
Or am I thinking of one of my chevys?
I cant look at my 86 it's parked somewhere else.

sak778

Reaction score
So will any of these interchange or do they just stay within the years specified?

will 88 fit 93 ect...?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So will any of these interchange or do they just stay within the years specified?

will 88 fit 93 ect...?
only with major dash and cab modification. for most people, the prospect of changing out the entire dash is not even considered. but if anyone really tries hard enough, the impossible can be conquered. for everyone else, following within those years I posted will get the conversion done quickly without it becoming a major fabrication project. the choice is yours and yours alone.;Sweet

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
the breakdowns are
83-86 squared off pot metal
87-91 rounded off pot metal
92-97 stamped steel. there are two versions of this one. get the new one.

Good s**t! I have the rounded-off pot metal bracket and pedal assembly. Also, just to see what I ended up with, I called the gentleman I bought the "kit" from this morning. He said he arranged the parts according to to year range and firewall changes. When I originally called him last Friday about his ad on C.L., he asked me what year I was putting the ZF into. This morning he said he gave me an assembly from a '91 even though all the other parts including tranny are from a '92. I didn't think anything of it at the time, now it makes sense with all the little changes FoMoCo did on these trucks. Now the only thing I'm missing is is the linkage actuator arm that fits over the splined end of the clutch pedal rod. As a bonus, I found the a plate for the firewall side of the master cyl. in a bucket of random stuff he handed off to me when I picked it up yesterday. I plan on swapping pedal assemblies Wed. so I'll post my findings here. Thanks to all of ya, and I apologize for the multiple posts and PM's. Read post #1 in this thread to gauge my panic level :sly

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good s**t! I have the rounded-off pot metal bracket and pedal assembly. Also, just to see what I ended up with, I called the gentleman I bought the "kit" from this morning. He said he arranged the parts according to to year range and firewall changes. When I originally called him last Friday about his ad on C.L., he asked me what year I was putting the ZF into. This morning he said he gave me an assembly from a '91 even though all the other parts including tranny are from a '92. I didn't think anything of it at the time, now it makes sense with all the little changes FoMoCo did on these trucks. Now the only thing I'm missing is is the linkage actuator arm that fits over the splined end of the clutch pedal rod. As a bonus, I found the a plate for the firewall side of the master cyl. in a bucket of random stuff he handed off to me when I picked it up yesterday. I plan on swapping pedal assemblies Wed. so I'll post my findings here. Thanks to all of ya, and I apologize for the multiple posts and PM's. Read post #1 in this thread to gauge my panic level :sly
now do yourself a favor and go down to folsom lake ford if they are still in business and get yourself the pivot arm, plastic retainer, and pedal bushing kit. I have all the part numbers listed in the tech articles "parts bin";Sweet

sak778

Reaction score
Sooo the pedal assemblies/firewalls changed when the headlight/front end changed. That's easy enough.

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
now do yourself a favor and go down to folsom lake ford if they are still in business and get yourself the pivot arm, plastic retainer, and pedal bushing kit. I have all the part numbers listed in the tech articles "parts bin";Sweet

I went and got all those goodies last night. It's impressive how much FLF has in stock for these old beasts. The only thing I couldn't get was the clutch line, so I had Sierra Tractor in Shingle Springs make one up for me out of high pressure hydraulic line for $48. Coulda got braided stainless but that was $70 so I'll sleeve the rubber line with some Nomex I have at the shop. Don't forget to come pick up your Coors next time you're up the hill! Turns out I have a '91 bracket which, after removing the clutch spring, went in like a charm. Tonight's goal: mount clutch master cyl, remove seat, carpet and doghouse, drain old tranny, anything I accomplish after that is just a bonus.

Last edited:

sak778

Reaction score
ryanecvbrown,
Good to hear its going together well.

BP6.9,
Since you don't have PM, email me at ***@xxxxx so we can work out the details.
Thanks, Sean
YMMV

Last edited:

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
Me too, Sean. I'm sure I'll hit a snag at some point here. Something I may have missed....do you all know if I need longer flywheel bolts for the LuK wheel or will the C6 bolts be an acceptable length after knocking off the flywheel spacer on the crankshaft? I might have my wife pick some up tonight after work just in case, but if I can get away with the C6 bolts it'll save me some moolah.