C6 Spacer Plate

Black Horse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dose a 6.9 and a C6 need a thin 1/8 spacer plate between thm like the gaser use. I just had my transmission rebulit and its about to go back in and there was not one there when I pulled it a part but I don't trust anything the previos owner did. He had lots of thing not right.

Thanks

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I pulled the C6 and 6.9 out of an 85 parts truck there was no spacer plate. I have never heard of one for a diesel, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
My C6 has a plate that goes between the engine and the trans and one between the flywheel and torque converted

Black Horse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done some searching and have not come up with a clear answer if there even should be one there. Just to be clear its not the thick adaptor or the thin plate for the flywheel.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Heres the truth and real deal... First off some auto trans had differant flexplates. My 89 had a heavy cast iron looking flywheel and a thin stamped flexplate that the torque converter bolts to. No spacer. They were found on both C6 and E4OD auto trans. Then in around 91 or 92 they used a stamped steel flexplate that had a starter geat welded to it. Between that and the crank there is a spacer about 1.100 thick. The spacer is no longer made but you can buy one from BTS trans in Leadhill Arkansas. The heavy cast iron flywheel and thin stamped flexplate is no longer made... Anywhere. I have several of those types and two new stamped flexplates. I actually bought the last one Ford had. Didn't really need it but what the heck... I have it. Any automatic trans repair shop (AMMCO) will have the stamped flexplate with the starter gear or BTS can get you one... These were the only auto flexplat options available... Ever... You can use either one on any auto trans but you can't combine the parts and make one out the two. The heavy cast iron setup gives more torque because of the heavy weight of it spinning....

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gary, you completely misunderstood him - he's talking about the "separator" plate that goes between the engine block and transmission bellhousing in gassers, when the engine and trans are separated that plate usually stays with the engine cause its sorta sandwiched between the engine block and the flexplate or flywheel - once the trans is off the plate is actually loose in there, but to get it off the flexplate/flywheel needs removed first.

sootman73

Reaction score
i had this same question with my E4OD when i took my trans out and then 4 months later went to put it back in and couldn't remember if there was one there or not. i found out that there was not but i'm not sure on the C6. let me ask a friend and get back to ya cuz he has a 7.3 and C6 and has had his apart.

Black Horse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had this same question with my E4OD when i took my trans out and then 4 months later went to put it back in and couldn't remember if there was one there or not. i found out that there was not but i'm not sure on the C6. let me ask a friend and get back to ya cuz he has a 7.3 and C6 and has had his apart.

That would be great I would like to know for sure if it even exists for a 6.9 - C6 set up.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What purpose would that serve on an IDI anyways? With gassers it's there to reinforce the area where the starter mounts to the trans by distributing some of the torque produced by the starter to the bolts between the engine block and the trans - I've actually seen an AOD behind a 351W that had its bellhousing cracked from the lower starter bolt all the way to the top behind the converter (crack ran kind diagonally up and towards the back) yet the starter worked perfectly fine cause the steel "separator" plate held things in place!

Now with an IDI the starter don't bolt to the trans, but to that massive cast-iron adapter we have between the engine an the trans bellhousing, that adapter actually works just like the gasser thin "separator" plate, so there's absolutely no need for a stamped steel one to go behind it and before the trans...

And by the way, what's the official term for that plate, I keep calling it a separator plate in an analogy with the thin plate sandwiched between the VB and the case of a slushbox, but is there an actual technical term for this thing?

Black Horse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What purpose would that serve on an IDI anyways? With gassers it's there to reinforce the area where the starter mounts to the trans by distributing some of the torque produced by the starter to the bolts between the engine block and the trans - I've actually seen an AOD behind a 351W that had its bellhousing cracked from the lower starter bolt all the way to the top behind the converter (crack ran kind diagonally up and towards the back) yet the starter worked perfectly fine cause the steel "separator" plate held things in place!

Now with an IDI the starter don't bolt to the trans, but to that massive cast-iron adapter we have between the engine an the trans bellhousing, that adapter actually works just like the gasser thin "separator" plate, so there's absolutely no need for a stamped steel one to go behind it and before the trans...

And by the way, what's the official term for that plate, I keep calling it a separator plate in an analogy with the thin plate sandwiched between the VB and the case of a slushbox, but is there an actual technical term for this thing?

I'm not sure what the real name is. The plate is only about a 1/8 thick or so and if the engine and tran is suppose to have one and you don't put it in you will likely take the pump out of the transmission. When I got me truck there was not one there but the transmission was also done. I don't trust the previous owner he was a hack and whack.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We don't have that thin plate on our motors. We do have that thick cast iron adapter plate thats bolted to the block. Then the trans be it standard or auto bolts to that...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online