Buying a used ZF-5, What should I look for?

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have decided to swap the C6 for a ZF-5 speed. I found one on craigs close to home. It is from a 1988 F350 4x4 with a 7.3. The tranny and engine are still in the truck. The owner told me that he thinks that it only has about 100k, but it was owned by a garbage company to deliver garbage cans. So I'm thinking that it may have 200k. He said that the transmission shifted and worked fine and that he bought it for the front axle to put in his crawler. The front axle has been removed so the truck can't be driven.

Should I be leary of a ZF with 200k? What are some things to look for? I will be looking to get the transmission, transfer case, drivelines, pedal assembly, steering column, and floor cover.

Thanks for any help,
Archie

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be leery but wouldn't rule out buying it unless tacking the price of having someone go through it onto the purchase price creates a final number that's unbearable. What's he asking for all that? Lots of folks will be able to tell you whether it's a good deal or not.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems abused/well used ZF5's have reverse issues. The slider, gear, and/or synchronizer can all cause difficulty with getting the transmission in reverse or keeping it in reverse. Just shifting it on the shop floor or in the truck without a load on it doesn't mean it's OK. I found this out the hard way. An unknown used ZF5 for my C6 to manual swap. It shifted in all gears just fine on the shop floor. But, once installed and with a load on the transmission, it would not go into reverse or it wouldn't stay there. I had to pull it back out and rebuild it. Cost was $800 for parts/labor.:puke:

What I'm saying is low ball that price as you may need to put some more money into it before you can use it.

Heath

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Papas and Heath, Thanks for the info. The guy is asking $700 for everything. I think I will go talk to a local trusted transmission shop about how much a rebuild would cost before buying it.

I sure wish that these trucks had an 100k odometer.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Papas and Heath, Thanks for the info. The guy is asking $700 for everything. I think I will go talk to a local trusted transmission shop about how much a rebuild would cost before buying it.

I sure wish that these trucks had an 100k odometer.

Be sure you get the shifter, crossmember, drive shafts, trans tunnel, shift boot, flywheel, clutch, clutch master/slave, and pedal assembly with that price. Shoot, I'd want the transfer case as well.

Heath

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also before installing a used unknown trans take it toa good trans shop and them take a look at it

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
700 is a fair price, but i would plan on a rebuild. otherwise you will have a situation like heath has

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online