Bumper help

Zephyr

Reaction score
I started to mount my new cow catcher bumper today, but...

Inside of frame measures 33 5/8".

You must be registered for see images attach

Outside of bumper measures 34"

If someone has the front bumper off of their OBS, could I get a comparison measurement? I need the narrowest measurement between the the frame and bumper mounts. Years ago I hit a deer with a a horse trailer in tow. Frontend damage was significant but the body shop never mentioned any bent frame. I am trying to determine if the front of the frame is tweaked +/- 1/2" or is is the bumper tolerance off. Thanks for any help.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
What brand? I have a ranch hand bumper on my truck, and I had to take a grinder wheel to the frame to clean up weld splatter because the fit was that tight.

Its raining here but when it stops I go out and take a measure for ya

Zephyr

Reaction score
It looks very similar, manufactured by Gage, about $500 less. Fit and finish look quite good otherwise. Apparently, there were some differing frame widths from Ford during the 92-97 OBS era according to one bumper website, but according to that website (http://franksupplyco.com/gage.html), my frame measures correctly. I sent off measurements and pics today. Hopefully they will do the right thing and remake the bumper. I would appreciate your measurements when the deluge stops.

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a WAM bumper, it was about 3/8 wider than my frame too
I guess they figure a little too big is better than a little too small
my stock bumper is on the ground, I'll get a number when this storm passes

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have about the same, 33 3/4 maybe a hair less inside the frame

my wam bumper bolted on differently, it didn't use the factory horns, it has plates that sit outside the frame and bolt through the frame

I bet it will spread 3/8 very easily and slide right in there

Zephyr

Reaction score
Thanks for the measurements.

If your mounts sit outside the frame, washers as spacers will take up the slack and work just fine. To try and spread the front of the frame 3/8" , force the bumper inside, and drive 100,000 miles with that strain doesn't sound to good to me, but I don't profess to be an engineer. Does the Warn fit inside the frame rails as well as bolt on the outside?

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand that, but can't be worse than the wreck you already had. it's still driving.
I don't think it would hurt things on a solid axle, maybe stress your 25 year old, worn out spring bushings or rad support bushings?
it's not a lambo, I'd shove that bad boy in there, provided it didn't take too much force, and call it done
that's why those frame horns have oversized oval holes?

Zephyr

Reaction score
Kudos to Peacemaker Bumpers for rapidly and ethically taking care of this! A new 33 1/2" bumper is being built by the factory and will be shipped when finished to replace the oversized bumper.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
My ranch hand is 33 1/2 and the width of my frame is 33 3/4, I have a 1/4 gap on my passenger side, that I should prob fill with some steel to be honest.

Maybe you will get lucky, my ranch hand bumper got damaged in shipping (paint scratched up) I called and they shipped a new one out, didn’t want old one back. I sold it for 700 bucks so the total cost of my bumper was 350!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad they made good. I'd like to see some pics when you get it on!

Zephyr

Reaction score
Perfect fit, excellent quality appearance and exceptional customer service from Peacemaker Bumpers for making it right!