Building a 6.9 to kill

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Well first off welcome aboard and second don't worry about some of these guys that seem to be coming off as kinda prickish. Its just that every copule months it seems we get a newbie wanting to make high HP and they know nothing about the motor or its limitations and don't realize what kind of coin its gonna take as most things you need for high HP is gonna be one off. Third thats an awfully clean and good lookin truck for a dirty pickle LOL and forth good luck with your build

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
88Beast, did you have to do anything speacial to fit the PSD valve springs or do they just drop in? What do they have for pressure because IIRC stock is only 60lbs, that's why a Jake isn't recomended. As was stated all eyes are on you right now we want to see progress on these engines, but most of us are low on cash and can only dream, then don't want to spend all our money and blow an engine, that's why people drop the goat engine or a DT series. I hope to see that truck at a rally some day, but first I need to make it to a rally.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
Well first off welcome aboard and second don't worry about some of these guys that seem to be coming off as kinda prickish. Its just that every copule months it seems we get a newbie wanting to make high HP and they know nothing about the motor or its limitations and don't realize what kind of coin its gonna take as most things you need for high HP is gonna be one off. Third thats an awfully clean and good lookin truck for a dirty pickle LOL and forth good luck with your build

Thanks man, everyone seems cool here. I think I snagged a decent truck for 1800. There will definitely be a few dollars spent but, goes with the territory. No different than building a classic hot rod or adding power to a newer truck.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
abull78 you're atleast gonna need mechanical injection (available).now quit screwin wit us.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
abull78 you're atleast gonna need mechanical injection (available).now quit screwin wit us.

What is available? I am here for ideas and leads. What is available on the injection side of things? Don't hog the secret sauce, share the recipe!!!!

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Thanks man, everyone seems cool here. I think I snagged a decent truck for 1800. There will definitely be a few dollars spent but, goes with the territory. No different than building a classic hot rod or adding power to a newer truck.

Well being from the rust belt makes me jealous thats a clean truck for sure. And you have to pay to play how fast you wanna go and how much money you got are one in he same LOL

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm probably the one that sounded prickish. Sorry again about that, I have a girlfriend that sometimes has me on the edge so long my ass crack stretches. Then I get a bit much even to myself...

But that is a sweet looking truck, I even like that pickle color. I'm just not sure if maroon is the right way to go inside... :) But as it's your truck, you get to make it/her just as you like. Just as I plan on putting a set of power leather seats from an Olds into my beat up pick-em up just to treat my hiney when the GF has been chewing it up.

And speaking of bright colors, I remember a 70's Ford truck that was in Four Wheeler Magazine in the 80's that was a bright blue. And I'll be damned if I can find that color, because if I do it would be waiting to get sprayed all over one of my trucks. Yes, I still have magazines from the 80's because I just always loved trucks and would read them over and over.

Speaking of which, I think I'd rather see a built up 80's Ford diesel in a magazine than a cookie cutter Dodge with a stack blowing black.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
I agree with you on this being a good project. I think this is a great project and its the truck I have always wanted. I dig this thing way more than the Dodge. I also think that being a V8 this thing is gonna run strong with the fuel pushing some higher rpms. As for the color scheme, thats how i got the truck. I love the burgundy interior so if anything is changing its the exterior color. Oh and just so everyone knows Autozone and Pep boys carry the white skull shifter knowb, so feel free to run down and get one!

1994IDI

Reaction score
Yeah, its a loud color for sure, and it clashes just perfectly with the burgundy interior!!!!!hahahahahaha

You are right there! Clean looking truck though. There's nothing better than a single cab long box and I drive one myself, just two generations newer. Keep intercooling as an idea in the back of your mind to help get some cold dense air in there and lower EGT's.
You are at the best place to find parts, advice, experience, friends, and help. You just cant beat Oilburners. Good luck with your build.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Speaking of which, I think I'd rather see a built up 80's Ford diesel in a magazine than a cookie cutter Dodge with a stack blowing black.

X2 on that!

I hope I didn't come off as prickish either. I, like most of us on the board, don't have the money to do a high performance build but definitely am interested in seeing what can be done power wise with an idi.
We are all for it, but like 93 turbo said, we get newbies with thoughts of cummins power on the cheap and they usually aren't happy when told what is available for the idi's.
Maybe you will find the secret recipe that we all want!

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
You are right there! Clean looking truck though. There's nothing better than a single cab long box and I drive one myself, just two generations newer. Keep intercooling as an idea in the back of your mind to help get some cold dense air in there and lower EGT's.
You are at the best place to find parts, advice, experience, friends, and help. You just cant beat Oilburners. Good luck with your build.

Question, do you guys run intercoolers on a non turbo truck? Seems like the gains from cooler air would be robbed from the restiction the intercooler would put on the incoming air?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Fueling

I'm the last guy you would want any engine building tips from, but once upon a time when I was infatuated with 6.5 Turbo diesels and their hidden power potential I had a guy e-mail me a link of a 6.5 in a tractor used in sled pull competitions...

The tractor used a two mechanical DB-2 (similar to ours only backwards on the 6.2/6.5's) injector pumps stacked on top of each other to supply what seemed like more than enough fuel for the twin turbo'ed motor. The power it put out was impressive, but I don't have the vid anymore and cant find it on youtube. Anyway there are probably better options out there but it worked for that guy :dunno

Looking forward to your build ;Sweet

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey abull are you in vegas? I saw a truck exactly like that on craigslist not to long ago called the guy cause he had an 01 with a knock he was willing to give the 86 to some one who could fix it turned out it was a 5.4 gasser in the 01 so I didn't get it. If you are in vegas might want to stop by J&S diesel and see if they got anybody that still knows thees pumps Like Scott did RIP. He built a lot of Pumps for some high powerd rigs including a P pump to suport 120psi of boost on a cummins forget how was building the rest of the truck I think it was edge but not sure of coures the engine blew up befor 120psi. I've seen fire rtinged heads for these on Hypermaxes site IIRC but it could have been a miss print. Also give hypermax a call about the CCs they could get out of a DB2 they are pretty giving with info from what I've heard from guys building Ppumps for 466s.

400hp doesn't sound rediculous to me the DB2 could definatly suport that the bottom end would take it the block would take it. Now weather or not you can get it to breath enough to make that power for more than a dyno run at a time with out melting things I'm not so sure but it could still drive around fry tires race pull a sled. But if you try'd to tow with it you might run in to trouble with out detuning it first.