Bubbles around glow plug

DeeseSR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to an injector dying and spraying fuel all over the intake I found that there is pressurized air blowing by my glow plugs and coming out around them while the eng is running. I have recently replaced the glo plugs and now have replaced the injector that was bad. All of them are tight in the holes. How do I stop the blow by the glow plugs? Thanks.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was probably some rough carbon on the taper where the glow plug seats, so they aren't all the way in. Anti-seize on the threads couldn't hurt.

DeeseSR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does a GP carbon cleaner tool look like, is it a special tool, or can I just use a small wire cup brush? If this is a normal problem then where can I buy one. I plan on having my truck for a long time. ANd since I have the other eng to build I'll probably need the tool more than once. Thanks.

912504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:eek: Wow, I just noticed mine doing that the other day also.
I chocked it up to the glows being hotter than the fuel and didnt think twice about it.
I wonder how much HP is being lost? LOL I need all the juice I can get outa this thing :D
Hopefully I can get these glows out since they must not have anti-sieze on them. I will have to soak them in PB for a day or two for good measure.

Thanks for the wake up call! :hail
Eric

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you're not gonna believe this ****....

DeeseSR said:
What does a GP carbon cleaner tool look like, is it a special tool, or can I just use a small wire cup brush? If this is a normal problem then where can I buy one. I plan on having my truck for a long time. ANd since I have the other eng to build I'll probably need the tool more than once. Thanks.
went to the snap-on US page to find the cleaner....its been deleted. p/n MT150 "glow plug hole cleaner"
here's the funny part...googled "snap-on mt150" and its on the snap-on CHINA page cookoo cookoo cookoo
here's the pic....

Attachments

• 19702.JPG
    19702.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 55

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
What?No one is even gonna ask what brand Glow Plugs these things are?Do not use Champions,Autolite,Bosche,etc glow plugs EVER!There is 1 brand and 1 brand ONLY that is safe and that is Motorcraft/Beru(Beru made them,Ford Motorcraft stuck them in their cool little Plastic baggy).Granted,this is the one problem that Even auto lights couldn't have caused but the glow plug debate shouldn't be ignored.But,if you are cheap like me go get a rifle cleaning bore(Not applicable in the State of Kalifornia since pretty much you can't own anything that will help save your life!) and some PB blaster.Hose,and scrub,hose and scrub!

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
When you are using a bore cleaner or brush, are you supposed to bring up the piston and remove the injector to blow air in the injector hole to prevent the carbon from dropping into the cylinder? Or is this not necessary? OG

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OkieGringo said:
When you are using a bore cleaner or brush, are you supposed to bring up the piston and remove the injector to blow air in the injector hole to prevent the carbon from dropping into the cylinder? Or is this not necessary? OG
baja-
I just crank the motor over a few turns witha hot start button while the GP's are out.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
towcat said:
baja-
I just crank the motor over a few turns witha hot start button while the GP's are out.

And might I add,DON'T LOOK DOWN THE HOLES WHILE DOING THIS! ;Really :rolleyes:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never thought about it much, but I guess there is always a chance that some of the off-brand glow plugs may have some machining issues as well as the better known problems. Maybe the taper of the seat is wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitsu tractor