Broken Interior Door Handle? heres a fix

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
my truck is a 93 350 crew this current winter has been terrible to my drivers door handle i broke 8 plastic door handles in 3 months thats with taking the latch apart cleaning lubing and reinforcing so i had enough and went on a search for something better.. AND I FOUND IT

dorman 77046 is a replacment interior handle in steel chrome real steel!!! no china plastic.
this part will likely NEVER be on the shelf its only listed for a 1980 to 1986 f series truck and bronco
so it will fit those obviously but it also fits OBS looks like it may be a little longer but still a direct bolt on works perfect

hope this can help someone else

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I did that to my trucks but just because I like chrome. :D

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
my problem is i dont like the chrome lol so i have to paint or wrap it or something idk

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
I've broke my driver's side handle once. I found a work truck in a scrap yard that had some firm rubber handles with impressions for your fingers. They looked custom but worked great. Best part was the junk yard said I could have em for free!

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a 92+ truck, odds are if you're breaking handles, it's not the handles fault, but a stretched cable. The best fix for that is to swap the 80-91 linkage style door mechanism in.

As for the 80-86 handles, I have never frozen my hands to one, and I have dealt with many a -30 day in both of my "86" F250's... LOL

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
On a 92+ truck, odds are if you're breaking handles, it's not the handles fault, but a stretched cable. The best fix for that is to swap the 80-91 linkage style door mechanism in.

As for the 80-86 handles, I have never frozen my hands to one, and I have dealt with many a -30 day in both of my "86" F250's... LOL

Thats the problem exactly;Sweet

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my driver side handle just snapped of yesterday. Both the driver side and passenger side you have to pull the handle all the way up before it releases the door, so I am guessing my linkage is stretched out. Is there a way to tighten that back up? I have felt like there is too much play in the handles then yesterday the driver side snapped off. If there is no adjustment where can you pick up a new cable?

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
I kn ow my cable is strech I don't think there is any adjustment with the metal door handles the next thing to go will be thee cables

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Alot of these doors have a history of tearing the metal where the handle mechanism mounts to also. I've been using the 80-86 door handles for a long time.... I thought everyone knew to do that conversion....

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked at the local dealership, and they are telling me that in order to get a new cable you have to buy a new latch (it's sold as an assembly). So they are emailing Ford to see if I can just buy the door handle cable. I will post back with what I find out, but for now I will pick up a new door handle (old style).

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I kn ow my cable is strech I don't think there is any adjustment with the metal door handles the next thing to go will be thee cables

more then likely it will be the door itself where the handle mounts. I've already had to reweld mine and when I get time to working on the cable I'll keep you guys posted if I come up with a way to tighten the cable