broken crark shaft

fobrnno

Reaction score
driving home last friday night and getting off at my cut off all of a sudden some one open a can of marbles in my motor i limps it home and just got the motor out and found a broken crank shaft.
now what would cause it to brake where it did and what year of crank will fit in my motor
my motor is from a 1994 e 350 7.3 non turbo

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are all the same as far as I know. If you were closer I have a few spares, but shipping would kill all the way to where you are at.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All IDI cranks have the same casting number.
do avoid the oem turbo motor crank just in case though.
you're the fourth person in a one year period to have reported this problem.
does the motor look like it has been rebuilt in the past?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dang, what TC said, that is a lot of broken cranks recently.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
That is the bolt the oil pickup hangs from.

You may need a new block. The broken crank may have been caused by a out of square block. On top of that, the crank likely distorted your block when it parted.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What shape is your harmonic balancer in??? Can you pull some mains or rod bearings and see if this was a 10,20 or 30 ground undersize crank... Sometimes the grinders don't chamfer the edges correctly and it causes stress cracks....

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
That is an odd break, normally they snap off clean behind a main cap. Everything comes in bunches - I saw this a lot at Freightliner....This week clutches, next week rear diffs and the week after that could be turbo's....Wierd how that works huh....:dunno

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
That is an odd break, normally they snap off clean behind a main cap. Everything comes in bunches - I saw this a lot at Freightliner....This week clutches, next week rear diffs and the week after that could be turbo's....Wierd how that works huh....:dunno

No doubt. I remember when I used to do alot of shop/private tows, there would be days when a few cars would all break down in the same intersection a few hours apart. :dunno