Breakdown Help!

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
Brothers,

She just got towed off I-95 during rush hour and is now resting at my parking lot at work (not the best place to work on her). Tow driver was not able to get her home (even if I paid $275).

Friday, I accidently ran one fuel tank low and switched here over (while running) and she seemed fine. After a few miles at the first stop she was running rough. I was able to keep her running by giving her some fuel. I got her home and let her rest overnight. In the A.M. it was a rough start but she started. I ran here a few miles but the idle was VERY rough. I thought she was going to shake off her mounts!

This morning a rough start but seemed OK. After 50 miles she seemed like she was starving for fuel. Pedal to the floor and couldn't get her over 55. Pulled up to a light and she stalled. She will start for a second or two (not easily) then die.

So what's up? IP dead? And what is the fastest way to get her up and running?

Thanks,
John

pafixitman

Reaction score
John,
I would do the obvious first. Pull the fuel filter and replace and purge the air. Sounds like it may have picked up a lot of garbage. Also disconnect the fuel line and make sure the lift pump is working. (Can't recall if you have an electric pump).

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds kinda like my truck awhile back. Except my fuel filter light came on.

Ford never found the problem. Pedal to the floor, no change. Feathering of the pedal... no change. 30 seconds later, coasting to a stop in front of a liquor store and a no parking zone.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John, I'd do like Joe said. Replace the filter, and do a flow test. Check and make sure you didn't collapse a hose from one of the tanks crud getting stuck to the tube.

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
i'll second (or is it third?) that motion... but i would throw a good bit of Power Service or hair tonic in the new filter to ensure good lube.

i must say that i've inadvertantly run one tank empty at least a dozen times, and with the exception of a hard start and/or a few minutes of rough idling (much like you describe), i've never had any long term ill effects.
Good luck, John.

pafixitman

Reaction score
John Haggerty said:
Agnem said:
and do a flow testQUOTE]

Flow test? As simple as removing the line into the filter head and check for flow coming from the steel line?

Thanks!
Do pressure and flow test on the fuel pump at the Schrader valve on the filter (FSS- fuel shutoff solenoid disconnected). Remove the tire valve core and hook a hose and pressure guage on it should see 4-6 psi when cranking. Then do a fuel quantity test same place, should see 1/3 pint in 10 seconds of engine cranking, route fuel to a suitable container with a hose.

(Thank Pete (literally) for this handy tip!)

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
I replaced the filter and added some Power Service into the filter (but no diesel). I have limited ability to do much here. I did remove the steel line at the filter head and noticed fuel when I cranked it for a second.

I did get it started for a couple of seconds than she died again. During that couple of seconds again it felt like no real power. Any thoughts?

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
Just a shot in the dark but are you shure the guage works and you have fuel in it? Were you able to bleed the line of air! I know when we ran the DT466 out of fuel she was a bear to get running again! Two guys to do so, one cranking while the other sprayed her with startig fluid and worked the bleeder!

Andy

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This sounds not too different from what happened to me when my injector pump died...

If the above suggestions don't work, here's another one, if you have some basic tools. There is a metal fuel return line coming out of the top front of the injector pump. The line goes into an elbow, that is screwed into what looks like a black adapter that goes into the pump housing. The "adapter" is actually a ball check valve. You'll want to pull this check valve and see if it's gunked up. It may not be readily visible (in fact, I couldn't see that mine was gunked up at all), but I took an electrical test lead with a sharp point and tried to push the ball in, and it wouldn't move anywhere. Using the sharp point on the test lead, I twirled it around and pulled it out to find that there was quite a few spots of black junk on the tip of the lead. I then kept trying to clean out the check valve with the test lead until the ball itself was moving freely and I wasn't getting any more black gunk on the test lead. After putting everything back together, I started the truck, and she ran! I was able to get maybe 20 freeway miles before the check valve got gunked up again to the point where I had to pull over and clean it out.

This was at least able to get me home...after getting home, I realized that the black gunk was pieces of that nylon gear in the governor assembly. I replaced the injector pump, and all's well :)

Hope this helps some...good luck!!