Break and Enter

Max Power

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a 2003 GMC. His truck was broken into in the mall parking lot yesterday. These crooks are smart. He has the factory alarm system. The way the alarm system works is that it disarms the alarm if you unlock the door with the Keyless entry remote or the key. If you break a window, reach in and unlock the door then open it, the alarm will honk the horn and flash the lights. So what these crooks are doing is smashing a little hole beside the key with a punch and prying the the door lock rod to unlock the door. What this does is disarm the alarm as well as unlock the door! I haven't actually looked at it yet myself he just described it to me. I will take pictures when I have a chance.

The good news for those of you with an aftermarket alarm is that this procedure will not disarm the aftermarket alarm.

I am likely going to disconnect his lock rods so this can't happen again. Then he can just use the keyless entry remote to get in and hope he remembers to change the battery often. He also has onstar so he should be ok as long as the battery never goes dead in the truck. We might rig up some kind of mechanical mechanism as well. We'll have to see when we get in there.

I've have always had an aftermarket alarm in all my vehicles and I have been lucky enough to never have one broken into. I think this is a little bit luck but also has a lot to do with lazy thieves. They would rather go for an easy target then break into one with an alarm. Of course there are exceptions but if you can save a B&E once it's worth it! Even a simple flashing LED is a step in the right direction.

Just though I would warn all of you.

I have also seen this same procedure done on Fords.

BRONCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Max,

I have not played with alarms for over 13 years. That was back before they had them from the factory.
What is the latest? Who makes the good ones? Any that have a remote start for a dmax?? Motion sensors?? Tailgate locks?? Paging??

Max Power

Reaction score
I use Astro start remote starter alarm combo. http://www.astroflex.com

Anything DEI (Python, Viper etc) is probably the best as far as an alarm system goes.

Shock sensors, perimiter sensors, hood switches, door switches are common sensing devices. Most offer some sort or 2 way transmitter now. No need for a seperate pager.

ISNMU, apparantly there wasn't much visible. The stole some checks, paper work thats about it. It is a pretty flashy truck though so I assume that is what attracted them to it.

BRONCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Max,

What is up with the two way transmitter? Does it have a keychain on/off switch that will buzz if trouble?

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy, A remote start would be nice..... Maybe...... Just Maybe.... I should do it... How many hours away are you again Tony...LOL.....

rubberfish

Reaction score
Originally posted by Max Power
Even a simple flashing LED is a step in the right direction.
Thats the extent of my security system. Use a transister to turn it on and off with the key, park and it blinks, drive and it doesn't, I'm such a cheap skate:D

Last edited:

Max Power

Reaction score
Actually a transistor isn't even necessary. Just get a flashing LED hook the positive lead to a 12v power source and the negative lead to an ignition wire. The light will flash when the ignition is off and won't flash when the keys is on because it has +12v on both leads. :)

2500cummins

Reaction score
I've heard they can also pop the Dodge locks with a punch near the lock cylinder. I have been told you can shield the lever and rod on the lock fairly easely so when they punch through the door skin it just bends up the shield and cant lift the lock
Jared

BRONCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Max,

I just visited the ASTRO site. They offer many products. Did not see an application guide. Do you have a reccomendation on model #?

Max Power

Reaction score
For alarm you really only have 2 choices. The 3106 and the 5204. The 3106 is one way and the 5204 is 2 way. Both are very good depending on your needs. If you ever get up this way I will give you a smokin deal on one.

BRONCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Havn't you noticed, my parole will not let me leave my computer. If I were to buy an AstroFlex just for the remote start feature. Which product # works best with the Dmax? What type of things do you have to do to install one?

Max Power

Reaction score
I would recommend the 2106xr if you just want remote start. 2000 ft of range and they claim a less then .01 % failure rate which is the best in the market.

To install one you are looking at hooking up power, ignition wires, brake wire, tach wire, glow plugs, passlock 2 bypass, keyless entry/alarm bypass, and a few other things. It's not for everyone. You have to be able to solder and definately need a failry decent understanding of electrical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online