Brakes

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i ended up with the 26 dollar set at autozone. Next time i might go with the 36 dollar pair but we will see. Any pads are better than no pads so it didn't matter. Plus if i have to change them once a year thats fine with me , i don't mind spending an hour changing them. But thanks everyone, im glad i did it this way.

Hillbilly

Reaction score
I completely understand the $$ side of things, BUT those chepo pads from Vatozone will cost you money in the long run. My experience with them has been that they do not dissipate heat well and ended up costing me rotors in the end. Since I started using quality name brand pads, I do not warp rotors nor do have to sevice my brakes as often.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not against using low buck parts, example- beater truck that never gets registered or tagged for use on the farm only or a fixer upper vehicle that I'm turning wrenches on to sell in the end. I definitely save the $$ in examples like those

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this is my DD, but the rotors on this thing are pretty etched from the last owner, so at this point the truck stops, i don't have anything to tow with it. And i mostly do freeway driving. So the cheepo pads will work till i can afford to get some new rotors. Like i said the truck stops fine with the rotors i have but the look really sketch. But all in good time.

sootman73

Reaction score
what does it matter if the rotors get warped from poor heat dissipation? they also sell the rotors with a lifetime warranty. get the lifetime for both and you will never spend money on your front brakes again. what does it matter the life of either if you only buy it once? for a DD, freeway miles, and little to none towing it will work perfect. see my point? lifetime=no costs down the road. period.

Hillbilly

Reaction score
what does it matter if the rotors get warped from poor heat dissipation? they also sell the rotors with a lifetime warranty. get the lifetime for both and you will never spend money on your front brakes again. what does it matter the life of either if you only buy it once? for a DD, freeway miles, and little to none towing it will work perfect. see my point? lifetime=no costs down the road. period.

I understand your stance on this, but to me my time is very valuable. I don't want to put rotors on once year, even if there free. I don't want the down time to swap pads out, just because they're free. My old oilburner has enough issues as it is, without worrying did I make the right decision about my brakes. cookoo
I use my ole truck to tow, most everytime it starts up, it has a trailer behind it. I also run a mucher larger tire than the OE size. I can lock the ole girl down and ball the tires even with the much larger radius tires on it, whereas i couldn't with the lesser grade pads. When I do have to do this, sometimes i wish it had ABS. Although the last thing I need is another "system, computer" controlling something else on my truck for me. :rolleyes:
I'm all for a deal, lifetime warranties are great. There's a running joke about lifetime warranties at Vatozone. It means you'll spend your lifetime changing out that part, thanks to the lesser quality. LOL
I didn't come hear and say that all these trucks with their inferior pads are doomed. I just wanted to bring my experience with these products to the surface and then hope it helps someone with the decision down the road somewhere. :thumbsup:

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally agree, if i towed and spent my life hauling stuff i would get nicer pads, i almost did just for the hell of it, but i didnt know the status of my rotors so now i know. In their current state they would eat though a pair of nice pads so its not worth it, right now. This was my first set on this truck so now i know what im doing when i change them. Next time i think rotors will be on the menu, and maybe some hawk pads. But so far im happier than i was so i cant complain. For me any time working on my truck is time learning about my truck, the more time the better, with in reason. I don't wanna half to tear my truck apart.
So im happy with what i have, if the truck eats them o well ill get a new pair till i can afford nice rotors.

O and i was wondering, do all of our trucks run twin piston calipers? I bought both when i did mine, single and twin, and returned the one, but i was just wondering.

sootman73

Reaction score
i also wouldn't buy the cheap stuff if i was towing alot. but i look at the cost effectiveness in my current situation. money is worth more than my time right now. especially since money isn't coming in at all.:(

if i had the money i would def put hipo rotors, pads, calipers. all the goodies! but unfortunately trying to put fuel in it is a higher priority than that stuff. (and most other things also)

frozenrotors

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Frozen Rotors

How much would a cryo rotor be for a 85 by chance?

Justin,

Assuming that your truck is the heavy duty version and not the standard duty (I think all diesels are heavy duty) here is pricing

Hub and Rotor Assembly
Frozen Rotor = $162.65 ea.
Frozen Rotor Slotted = $207.65 ea.

Rotor Only
Frozen Rotor = $96.50 ea.
Frozen Rotor Slotted = $141.50

VelveTouch F3 Compound Brake Pads (Hawk Fleet Division) = $52.30 set

If you frequently tow with your truck I would reccomend the Frozen Rotors Slotted, but if its just a daily driver than the standard Frozen Rotors will do just fine. If you decide to order let me know and I will get you the OilBurners.net 5% off discount.

John Brick
FrozenRotors.com

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86