Brake Issues

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Ok, since I am 100% a Ford man, and my dad owns a 1999 Ram 2500 cummins....I thought I would ask the experts on this one.

Dad's truck has been having a LOT of brake issues. We replaced the rear brakes (EVERYTHING, shoes, drums, springs, and adjusters.....everything) with new parts. For about a month afterwards the shoes would back off on the driver side....the adjuster wouldn't hold. I had a look at it myself, and all the adjuster parts are on right....I am 100% sure of this. I can't remember what we did to fix it, but the back brakes are working properly now.

Just as soon as we fixed THAT issue, the front brakes started to drag. And now the brake pedal is starting to come back REAL slow when pushed down.

I don't think he wants to get involved with too much %% at this point as he has replaced a LOT pf parts on it...like $4000 - $5000 in the last 2 years.

Any ideas? What should I be checking for?

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there are issues with sticky calipers that are needing a rebuild as well as sticky caliper slides. I havent had any of these issues with my truck yet but Ive seen this problem come up a few times on Cumminsforum. Ive also seen a few times where people have had faulty flex brake lines and they have caused a weak pedal retract and sticky brakes.

-Jordan-

lazermule

Reaction score
I have an 02 2500 and I had sticky calipers so I replaced them. I also had the main read line to the rear let go somewhere up next to the fuel tank so I cut and flared it before the tank, and ran a new one back. Now, from time to time my ABS will engage and the truck pretty much looses all the brakes... Any ideas? The replacement calipers looked identical... Did I possibly route around something that's up behind the tank? I have no ABS light on or faults...

LM

Last edited:

lazermule

Reaction score
I have an 02 2500 and I had sticky rear calipers so I replaced them. I also had the main rear line to the rear let go somewhere up next to the fuel tank so I cut and flared it before the tank, and ran a new one back. Now, from time to time my ABS will engage and the truck pretty much looses all the brakes... Any ideas? The replacement calipers looked identical... Did I possibly route around something that's up behind the tank?

LM

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
If equipped with RABS, sometimes the proportioning valve will stick if the brake fluid gets too much moisture in it.