Boost Question

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I've been seeing really good boost numbers since I installed the turbo on this engine last fall both in building boost fast and maintaining 8 psi easily. It's been about 30-50 degrees until the last two days. Today it was 82 degrees and I had to go pick up an Aerostar van to yank out the 4.0L for project Explorer. I noticed that the truck doesn't seem to boost as fast as it was when it was colder outside. :dunno Is this normal, or do I have a problem somewhere? I can still hit higher boost numbers, but there seems to be a little more "lag" in the spooling and building of boost in the warmer weather. If this is normal, will the IC help with this when I get it installed? Thanks.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yes its perfectly normal, I see the same lag as the temps go up, though its still pretty instantaneous. You will get used to it as the weather stays warmer.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I was hoping so. I took the truck out again tonight after it cooled off outside and I have much faster boost again. I think it's time to IC the truck... After all, I did install the new back door and clean up my mess in the garage as promised to the other half.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the other hand, I think you will actually lose boost in terms of raw #s with the IC, however you will get better power with an intercooled 5 psi than a "hot" 8-9psi. Just fyi and I wouldn't want you to do all that work and be disappointed. Of course once you intercool you really need a Moose or other "hot" injection pump, yeah. If you just want better boost #s and a quicker response, maybe you want Hypermax cowl induction.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I'm looking at ways to do a "tilt nose" of the truck, so I might check into a cowl induction of some sort too. I'm not so much as concerned with the higher boost numbers as I am the power. I do a lot of towing and I need the power for the grades and to move the load down the road.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then the intercooler will be worthwhile! Towcat says it really is a great mod for the IDI in addition to the turbo. I really wanted to intercool while I was adding my ATS 088 but I really could not afford it or find an acceptable intercooler. I was looking at ones from the Mitsubishi Lancer EVOIII but the stock ones seemed to be a little on the low side for a 6.9 IDI. Do you have an intercooler to throw in there? Plumbing? Intake hat?

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Then the intercooler will be worthwhile! Towcat says it really is a great mod for the IDI in addition to the turbo. I really wanted to intercool while I was adding my ATS 088 but I really could not afford it or find an acceptable intercooler. I was looking at ones from the Mitsubishi Lancer EVOIII but the stock ones seemed to be a little on the low side for a 6.9 IDI. Do you have an intercooler to throw in there? Plumbing? Intake hat?

I have an IC from a 6.0L PS thanks to punkmechanic, and I'm going to get the materials for piping soon. I need to come up with the funds to have typ4 make up an intake hat for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351