Boiling transmission

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe its a 5 speed. One thing that really annoys me, is driving on anything but completely flat ground, the trans is always downshifting to a lower gear and I end up running in the 4,000 rpm range.

I'll take a pic of the cooler. One thing I do know, it has large hoses connecting to it, they look like 5/8 size.
that v10 is only 415 cuin.small bores for its size as the dodge v10 is 488 cuin. imo the v10 is not a good choice for a motorhome but its all ford had since they dumped the 429 industrial and 460. either of those would pull the hills w\o having to do it at 4000 rpm

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I thought about synthetic, how good is it when compared to standard fluid?
Sounds like bigger cooler is the way to go also.

Synthetics will take more abuse. They withstand high temps for a longer period of time.

Ditch the stock cooler for a 6.0 cooler.

You can add a TruCool Max with your existing cooler. The Max cooler is the same as your stock cooler, but it doesn't have the factory Ford brackets.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC the van chassis got a smaller cooler than what came on trucks. Thats why they had more failures with the 5R100/6.0 in vans than in trucks (transmission wise). I will have to go out and measure my excursions cooler, perhaps you can fit one up front on your rig. Mine has a factory 31 row cooler (the largest one).

If your RV has a 4R100, I would be tempted to throw a torque converter lock up switch in the cab. You would have to put it into 3rd and 2nd on your own, but that should help a lot (if your pulling grades with the converter unlocked). The V10 should have enough umph to get you up the hills in a lower gear with the converter locked.

Is your shift indicator PRND21 or PRND321?

The shift indicator is PRND321. I just looked through the front grill and without removing it to really see, the cooler appears to be about 12 inches wide and maybe 6 to 8 inches tall.

The V10 has plenty of oomph off the line but the way they have the gearing set up, it's a real pig at certain speeds.