Bmw 2.4L diesel performance help

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
My grandfather has a 1986 Vixen 21 (Google it) with a bmw 2.4L turbo diesel pusher motor and it needs a lot more power going;burnout down the road. Any ideas that are cheap like pump tuning or advancing the timing. The turbo is wast gated and adjustable and it has a boost gauge. I have the service manuals for the whole vehicle including a very detailed engine repair manual, and I am a decent mechanic. Most thing I'm looking for is how to turn up the fuel and how high a boost this thing can handle. Thanks.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
That BMW diesel is not a bad unit, but I think the euro guys and gals might be better at tuning them. Do you know if it has a rotary or inline style pump?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
What are the stock boost settings for the motor? If the motor is not intercooled, an intercooler should get put into the system or a water/**** injection system to keep the egt's in check. Also, do the timing belt if it hasn't been done. No sense enjoying the extra power and then destroy the head.
Anyways, the concern I see is that this small motor is pulling all this weight. I'd keep the timing near stock, and make the power with more fuel and air. I'd look into a modern turbo since turbo technology has progressed a lot in 23 years, and as h2ox has said, uncork the thing completely.
Good thing this thing can rev to 5500rpms, you'll have a nice wide powerband. But don't just do the pump mods because the turbo may not be able to keep up, and get pushed out of its sweet spot and heat up the air.
Look on Youtube for this guy "stupidbychoice". He has a BMW 524td that he modded, has 192hp and 395nM torque. PM him and see if he is willing to divulge the details.

Last edited:

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
The stock setting are 12 psi and it has 13 psi pressure relief valve. It says turbo intercooled on the back of the vixen. Sorry it redlines at 4800 rpm which is still a lot. I'm trying to get a lttle bit more power with out spending a huge amount of money just trying to tune it up a little bit, and blow black smoke.

very true for the timing belt

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
So do you know more about the engine??

I've got something better. Go to mye28.com; they are a site dedicated to the E28 bodied 524td. They have all the info you'll ever need; even made mention about the Vixen.;Sweet
Look for the thread titled "How to pimp a 2.4td engine" and they talk at length about turbo, pump and intercooler combos. The pump is a Bosch VE, and one of the things that can be done is put a Dodge/Cummins head unit on the pump so the fuel delivery can be increased. In stock configuration, the pump is somewhat limited.

Last edited:

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I don't think you should get these things too heated because of the aluminum head and, as the thread points out, the back cylinders run hotter than the front. Just based on that info alone I'd keep the egt's around 1000-1100 for very short bursts. Boost wise, I look at the efficiency of the turbo first before dealing in boost numbers. If the turbo is putting out 20 psi boost, but heating the air severely, then power is lost, and that is what will happen with the stock turbo. An upgraded turbo with a more efficient turbine and compressor can run less boost, yet make more power because of the increased volume and density of the compressed air. So just because it pegs the boost gauge doesn't mean it's making more power.
If the settup is right, and the cooling system was upgraded, I'd be comfortable with 18-22psi boost with water/**** injection. Just don't get crazy with the timing and fuel delivery.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online