Blowby

skintbackfarms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much is to much blowby? I am try to figure what is still wrong with this motor.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming you still have the CDR conected, "normal" is if the oil vapor gets pulled back in if you get the engine RPM up close to 1000 RPM.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Don't get too worried, this engines blow a lot of steam and every engine is different regarding this matter.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
i found that different ways of venting make a big difference on oil loss.
as long as you aren't loosing much oil, why worry.
My truck goes through .5 quarts in 5k miles.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
mine eats about 1 quart in about 200 miles give or take, but im pretty sure it my valve guide seals

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
well im pretty sure it the guides, but idk, im not lacking any compression cause it cranks up within the first or second full turn of the motor

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine used to use about 1 liter every 100-200 miles depending on how hard it was run. When I tore it apart for the rebuild, I found all the valve seals to be very brittle and were probably allowing a lot of oil past. The 302 gasser (LPG) in my F150 also had a thurst for oil even with a recent (if mild) rebuild. Replacing the valve seals eliminated the problem completely.

My diesel had 400k kilometers on it when I had to pull it apart because of a glow plug incident. However compression was 410PSI on the lowest holes, so I would have to rule out rings in my case.

skintbackfarms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the truck running bad? Lacking power?

I haven't driven it far to see how much oil its losing. I drove back to my office (30 miles) and loaded it on the gooseneck and bought it home. It is still loaded on the trailer as of this morning. It still has a miss in it from 2k and up RPM. It is blowing out fuel not oil. I am ruling out injectors (because the older man put some in back in Sept.) and just put another set and returns line on it. As far as the CDR, I have it off the truck. i have some that comes out at idle and it will pull it back in as the rpm comes up. I lefted yesterday and went to get a temp gun and all the cylinders are around temp give or take 6 or 7 degrees. I put a new lift pump on it last night and still have the problem. I don't think it is anything inside because it cranks, runs and idle great, you can hold it to the floor and hit around 34k RPM, and about all that is left is the ip.

discbrks

Reaction score
It still has a miss in it from 2k and up RPM. It is blowing out fuel not oil. I am ruling out injectors (because the older man put some in back in Sept.) and just put another set and returns line on it. As far as the CDR, I have it off the truck. i have some that comes out at idle and it will pull it back in as the rpm comes up. I lefted yesterday and went to get a temp gun and all the cylinders are around temp give or take 6 or 7 degrees. I put a new lift pump on it last night and still have the problem. I don't think it is anything inside because it cranks, runs and idle great, you can hold it to the floor and hit around 34k RPM, and about all that is left is the ip.

I'm gonna assume that you have a NEW fuel filter installed...
Here's what I would try: First, put the CDR back on & make sure the tube is draining back into the valley pan like it's supposed to. Then, get a gas can full of diesel & some fuel rated hose. Remove the hose from the suction side of the lift pump and attach the new hose to it, and stick the other end into the gas can. This will take the rest of the truck's fuel system out of the equation. If it revs fine like this, then I would say you have a restriction in the fuel lines on the truck. If not, then I agree that the IP is the next step.