Block heater test?

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
I was wondering what the best/safest/easiest way to test the block heater is? im pretty sure mine is still hooked up but because i know nothing about the truck from before i bought im going to assume it doesnt work, just curious to what yall think

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Andrew above the started you should find your block heater check across the two outter terminals for resistance. IIRC you want about 15 ohms. If this checks good then with a volt meter and you block heater cord plugged in to a ext. cord check for 110 vac at the end of the cord that connects to the heater above the starter. if you have the right voltage at that end of the cord and about 15 ohms resistance across the element then you should be able to plug everything up and have a working block heater

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I plug mine in and about 2-3 seconds later I hear it percolating/bubbling. No percolating, no heat. It's not as noticeable if the truck is already warm though.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
thanks guys, what exactly does the block heater heat though? does it heat the block its self or does it heat the oil or what?

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Don't worry if you don't hear it bubbling. I've never heard mine bubble but it works just fine.

zpd307

Reaction score
i just fixed my cord and finally got it working. i could hear the bubbling, but only from underneath and with my ear as close to it as possible. and it wasnt very loud.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
thanks again for all the replies guys, i actually just got batteries for Christmas today and today was the first time i got to drive her so i gotta check the heater soon

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't worry if you don't hear it bubbling. I've never heard mine bubble but it works just fine.
Never heard mine, but I'll get a little arc when unplugging it from the a/c socket.
My original unit failed years back...somewhat of a pita changing it out >tasted coolant :puke: :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online