Block heater question

Ford420ci6point9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard that the block heaters in 6.9 and 7.3 idi's lead to problems if you use them, is that only in the early idi's or is it in the later ones also? Mine's a 1987. Or is this a myth made up by the Cummins fanboys?

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had been meaning to ask this as well, I've never had a reason to use mine on my 6.9 which is an 85 but when was the "safe" time to use them again?

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 86 6.9 and use the block heater throughout the winter in Montana but I have it on a timer so it only kicks on a few hours before I have to go to work and at -30 it has never failed me yet always fires right up but if you are worried buy a heat pad for the oil pan they take a little longer to heat but work well for on the mine equipment

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines an 83 6.9. Used the block heater until I crapped out and I’m not replacing it. I just liked having immediate heat lol. Starts good even down in the negatives. I don’t think I’ve ever cranked more than 45 seconds and that’s down at like -20 with a lower windchill lol. Also heard the block heaters should be plugged in warm. They’re designed to maintain the heat, not bring it up from ambient temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines an 83 6.9. Used the block heater until I crapped out and I’m not replacing it. I just liked having immediate heat lol. Starts good even down in the negatives. I don’t think I’ve ever cranked more than 45 seconds and that’s down at like -20 with a lower windchill lol. Also heard the block heaters should be plugged in warm. They’re designed to maintain the heat, not bring it up from ambient temp.

I've been a truck/coach mechanic too many years and thats one I've never heard?
idi 6.9 and 7.3 start wonderfull in the winter, I only plugged my old truck in when I knew I wasn't going to have much time for a warm up. or if i knew the Mrs was going to drive it next. (start and go :frustrate)

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Lol at -20 my 86 6.9 is a nightmare to start

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been a truck/coach mechanic too many years and thats one I've never heard?
idi 6.9 and 7.3 start wonderfull in the winter, I only plugged my old truck in when I knew I wasn't going to have much time for a warm up. or if i knew the Mrs was going to drive it next. (start and go :frustrate)

Don’t remember where I heard it, but it was for the longevity of the heater element. Or I could be completely miss informed and be spreading garbage lol.

Don’t have a YouTube account but I have a video of my truck starting at 7*. Cranked for about 15 seconds on the first glow plug cycle and she fired :)

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck will fire up at 7* pretty easy but -20 that's a different story unless it's plugged in and iv never had an issue with my block heater the way I use it

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
but at 1500 watts, you need a heavy Cord.

I think mine is a 1000 watt in my 7.3, but YES DO USE A HEAVY CORD!!!! I learned the hard way! You might not loose your truck, but you might loose the house.

Few yr ago I had mine plugged on a timer, plugged in the garage, 100' 16 ga cord out to the truck, about -25*. For some reason went into the garage before going outside.....garage full of smoke, black soot all up the wall & sheetrock, plugin smoking, etc, etc. Breaker didn't trip!!!!

I figure house been on fire in another 30 min if I hadn't found it!!! Small cords can't carry the amps, can carry the volts but not the amps!

Sooo, I got rid of all my cords smaller than a 12 ga. For that matter now nothing on my property smaller than a 12 ga to use on anything! Saws, drills, TRUCKS.....

Ford420ci6point9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think mine is a 1000 watt in my 7.3, but YES DO USE A HEAVY CORD!!!! I learned the hard way! You might not loose your truck, but you might loose the house.

Few yr ago I had mine plugged on a timer, plugged in the garage, 100' 16 ga cord out to the truck, about -25*. For some reason went into the garage before going outside.....garage full of smoke, black soot all up the wall & sheetrock, plugin smoking, etc, etc. Breaker didn't trip!!!!

I figure house been on fire in another 30 min if I hadn't found it!!! Small cords can't carry the amps, can carry the volts but not the amps!

Sooo, I got rid of all my cords smaller than a 12 ga. For that matter now nothing on my property smaller than a 12 ga to use on anything! Saws, drills, TRUCKS.....
Good tip will keep in mind. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online