Block Heater Question

DMcV

Reaction score
It really hasn't gotten too cold here yet but I've been (trying) to use my block heater to pre-warm the engine prior the 'short' drive I have to the job site. However, I find some mornings that it hasn't even come on. Some times it works some times it doesn't. I have it on a heavy duty timer set for 3 hrs run time just ending before I'm ready to go. 3 hrs does the job nicely as I have heat in the cab 1 block down the road.I've made sure the timer is working and there is power. Would the heater be faulty ? Any suggestions ?
Thanks Dennis

Deib

Reaction score
You can test continuity through the heater.
Start right at the plug. Put a meter across it, if nothing, then unplug the cord and check the heater directly.
Cords do go bad.

If you still have nothing then the heater is bad.

howards@howard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
block heater

Most the time it's the cord rotted off the heater. I have never had a heater go bad. You can get all the parts from ZERO START thats who makes them for ford. you can buy cord ends from ZS

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cord is generaly the problem ive found as well. Several times ive driven off without unplugging (after scratching 1/2 inch of ice off winshield, so cold and mad i forget) That really takes its toll on the cord!! I guess technically im the problem!!

DMcV

Reaction score
Yes.... it was the cord. Right at the end of the plug, I guess from being bent too many times it fatigued and failed. Found a replacement cord at the local parts dealer $20.00. Can you believe that Ford wanted $113.00 !!!!! I said no... I want just the cord , not the heater, reply was 'that is just the cord sir'. Thanks to all that replied.
Dennis

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
DMcV,

I bet I know why the cord was so expensive from the dealer. If the 7.3 and the 6.0 use the same powercord, in I think 05 the engines come from IH with the block heater installed, but unless the cord was speced, or originaly sold in a "cold area" the cord was not included from the factory. My 03 came from the factory with the cord, so if you wanted to use the block heater on the newer trucks you had to buy the "dealer accessory" cord to attach to the heater. I know that most guys get the cord from IH or a local parts house for 20 or 30 bucks like you did.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online