Block heater plug in time duration

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Ok so our dept has a 92 E-350 ambulance that they use for their warrant entry team. Yup, 7.3 IDI.;Sweet

Well they're gonna leave the block heater plugged in all winter long.:eek:

Reason being, so that it's warm and ready to go in a moments notice.
It's been plugged in so far all this week. No timer on the cord or nuthin.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
won't hurt it one bit.... and yep it will be ready to rock and roll when they need to storm the castle.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just like anything, the more time on the clock, the sooner it will clock out.:D I'd go by there everyday and listen for the classic sizzle. No more sizzle, time for a new heater.LOL

Heath

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just like anything, the more time on the clock, the sooner it will clock out.:D I'd go by there everyday and listen for the classic sizzle. No more sizzle, time for a new heater.LOL

Heath

Could also see if the radiator tank is warm. If it is it's still going. But whose footing the electric bill? When I was in the fire department the only thing we had plugged in all the time was the automatic battery charger/maintainer. The truck room was kept at about 60 degrees.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the truck sitting outside or inside? I know on all our diesel appratus, they are not plugged in, they just sit in a heated bay...... I am not sure they need to be plugged in..... I know it is healthier for the engine to be nice and woar when they drive the wheels off it......

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Ok so here's the rest of the story. When they use it, they know a day in advance. Hmmmmmm.....

It does set outside and I also had to show them how to start it after I watched them messing around with it last year for over a half hour trying to get it started.
Walked over to it, had em cycle the gps and and then I grabbed the trottle cablr and put it to full throttle where the seargent wasn't able to see as he was in the drivers seat and told him to crank it.
It fired riiiight up.
I brushed my hands off and chuckled at the look on their faces when it took right off.

It doesn't get used very much as it has prolly only been used a half dozen times this year.
Yup, they're wasting my pay raise 15 kw/hr at a time.cookoo

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I know I have left mine plugged in for extended periods of time...... and as Trav said... no ill effects..... But I think you have the answer..... plug it in the night before, and it will be good to go......

So this truck isn't called into service at the drop of a hat like say, and ambulance? If not I don't see why they would need to leave it plugged in 24/7 I know that I don't and most of the time I plug it in is 1) So I dont have to listen to it "complain" about being left out in the cold (yep, back to the talking to your trucks thing) and 2. So I have heat sometime today........

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
I know I have left mine plugged in for extended periods of time...... and as Trav said... no ill effects..... But I think you have the answer..... plug it in the night before, and it will be good to go......

So this truck isn't called into service at the drop of a hat like say, and ambulance? If not I don't see why they would need to leave it plugged in 24/7 I know that I don't and most of the time I plug it in is 1) So I dont have to listen to it "complain" about being left out in the cold (yep, back to the talking to your trucks thing) and 2. So I have heat sometime today........

Not normally.
It's kinda comical because I told them last year that they didn't need to have it plugged in all the time as it's just a waste of electricity, but they wouldn't lisiten. Once they get ready for a raid, the rig is running for some time, while on the extended idle, while the brief is going on which may last 30-60 minutes.cookoo

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
so you have advanced warning before they show up at your shop...

huh....

that's always nice to know...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
So if the old IDI is sitting there idleing outside the sherrifs office, someone is going to jail?????? That is an interesting "notification" system.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online