Black and white smoke

bilateramp

Reaction score
My 6.0 is sick, its acting as if there is no turbo until about 1900-2100rpms and when it finally spools up it blows black and white smoke for 1/4 mile.

pfarmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my 3rd EGR valve for problems similar to yours. Like you, I had almost no power and it wouldn't build boost until I really stood on it. It did this for two days and then on the third day at idle, my temperature chime sounded, I looked down at the dash, the temperature was in the hot range and I shut it down. I let everything cool off and changed the EGR valve out (removed two screws and finessed the unit out with a couple of long handled pry bars). It had used a lot of water/coolant because the reservoir was really low, hence the temp issue and the small amounts of white smoke. New EGR valve, topped off coolant and problem solved. It had never gone out quite this way before though (always in the past it was lack of power, lots of black smoke) and at first I thought I had a head gasket problem but my pick up is fine now and isn't using any excessive water/coolant. BTW...I shopped the EGR valve around and the list is about $300, a "good" price was around $225 and the best price I found at Arrow Ford Abilene, TX was $166.

Good luck, hope you fix it for cheap!
Priscilla
180K miles now. (not me smart aleck, the pick-up)

Oh, I forgot to tell you..if your EGR valve comes out black and coked up and sooty...then you may have the problem I have had. If it comes out "wet" it's another situation entirely. If you aren't sure, show it to your diesel guy. I'm learning as I go, so I hope this helps.

Last edited:

bilateramp

Reaction score
thanks for the heads up about the egr I took it to a friend of mine with a snap on code reader and he said that was it also, i feel fortunate because my stroke has 135k+ and besides injectors at 105k this is its first breakdown issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online