bio-diesel system?

braveops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any of you guys buying a system or making one? is it hard to make one what sort of used oil gallons would i need to make say 50 gals a month min ? is it worth the hassle to do this? i just seen on truck tv and had me thinking any way i dont have to pay those robbing bast@rds

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The systems are expensive if you don't put them together yourself. There is a learning curve from what I have observed and you need space to keep all the stuff which I don't have. Maybe someday.

patrickf

Reaction score
Biodiesel production

I started to make biodiesel because of the outrageous price of fuel.
It has now become a great hobby; not often that you have a hobby that is fun and saves you lots of money.

Don't waste your time with ready-made processors.
Go to www. biodieselcommunity.org. or .com, can't remember. Super site with lot's of great support from homebrewers all over the world.

All you need is 4 55gallon oil drums
A source for good quality methanol
A source for either Sodium Hydroxide (lye, in bulk), or Potassium Hydroxide, which is my preferred ingredient
A hardware store for misc. plumbing parts.
A source for good quality restaurant oil
A well ventilated space to make the fuel.

It will take approx. one week of tinkering to get everything put together and ready for use. Depending on how frugal you are, you can put everything together (equipment) for as low as $300 to as much as $1,200 depending on the bells and whistles.

As with anything worth-while, making biodiesel is a learning experience.

Good luck