BIGGER ALTERNATOR WIRE

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My 1985 F-350 has pretty much original wiring from the alternator to the voltage-regulator and to wherever wires go from the alternator.

I read somewhere that, on vehicles equipped with a factory amp-gauge, the alternator current travels from the alternator, through the dash, through the amp-gauge, and then back to the engine compartment, to the battery; and, adding a bigger wire from the alternator over to the hot side of the starter relay, or the battery itself, dis-ables the function of the ammeter gauge.

Is this true concerning my truck??

Also, anyone that has upgraded the alternator wiring, I would like to see pictures and hear what you did.

Thanks.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our vehicles use what is called an "ammeter shunt"...

It's a piece of metal with a very low resistance. The ammeter is essentially a voltmeter, and it measures the voltage across this low resistance piece of metal. The voltage that travels to the gauge is only a few volts.

However, most of the aftermarket gauges you buy have the shunt inside the meter, meaning that all the current must pass through the meter.

And saying that, I don't know where the shunt is located on our vehicles. Should be in the wiring diagram though.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cheat.
I connect from the alternator with a 6ga battery cable straight to the battery:D
I'll snap a pic in a little bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylerperson

Members online