Big truck tow job

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
you do that with a 3406 and it will reward you by coughing up a cylinder liner.:eek:

Seriously? All the old truckers and even a service REP with Cat told me that the BEST way to get mileage out of her was to lug it like hell. If I thought I should downshift...don't. I have lugged that 3406B so much over the past year or so it's not funny. 1300RPM and lower, hell, I have let her come back to 1000RPM and kept feeding her fuel...not on the rug, but a decent amount to maintain boost and that thing never ONE hacked up a hairball lol.

I try to drive her between 1000 - 1500 RPM in the city, but due to lack of gearing 2000 - 2100 is 60 MPH.....it SUCKS!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score

:eek:I have been working in the right industry, but on the wrong part of the planet all my life......:frustrate-Drool-Drool-Drool

Must ee a LOT of money in trucking down there.....here, you can't maintain enough money to put tires on a rig...and I am not overstating anything.

Around here, you haul by ton/mile. If they have a jobsite 25 kilometers (15 miles) away for example...the ton/mile rate is $3.95

Since you can only legally load to 26000 KGS legally, you can haul 15 ton on my truck (empty weight of 11000 KGS)

So, 15 ton x $3.95 (per ton) = $59.25 total for that load. That load to Halifax takes just over an hour.

I take 1/3 of that, so that leaves $39.50 left for the truck.

Fuel here is $1.34 per liter ($5.07 a gallon) and I am roughing out 5.5 MPG's.

15 x 2 (return trip empty)= 30

30 miles/ 5 miles per gallon 6 gallons of fuel....$30.42 in fuel.

My boss is making $9.08 PER TRIP that I make. So at the end of the day, if I make 8 trips my boss can put $72.64 in his account.

I am not overstating this...I can show you slips and totals showing my proof.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love being a tow truck driver maybe someday I will venture into big rig towing
do yourself a favor. get into heavies when you are young. pulling drivelines is not something you want to do as you get older. it is usually cold, windy and wet conditions you are working in.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
:eek:I have been working in the right industry, but on the wrong part of the planet all my life......:frustrate-Drool-Drool-Drool

Must ee a LOT of money in trucking down there.....here, you can't maintain enough money to put tires on a rig...and I am not overstating anything.

Around here, you haul by ton/mile. If they have a jobsite 25 kilometers (15 miles) away for example...the ton/mile rate is $3.95

Since you can only legally load to 26000 KGS legally, you can haul 15 ton on my truck (empty weight of 11000 KGS)

So, 15 ton x $3.95 (per ton) = $59.25 total for that load. That load to Halifax takes just over an hour.

My boss is making $9.08 PER TRIP that I make. So at the end of the day, if I make 8 trips my boss can put $72.64 in his account.

He has permits to haul 100,000 in NYC so you can run an extra 20% over the "normal" 80,000. So you can make better money. Also him running the quarry that the trucks run out of guarantees his trucks have work. Then in the winter he runs the docks where the salt comes in so again, his trucks stay busy. The best part is, he is a REALLY cool guy and will do anything for you

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
that's funny....
i had my google set on the images section and a "hilliwick66" hit over at stacks and cracks....:eek::love::love::love:

Yeah. She is one of the groupies of the trucking world around here. There are quite a few.

Is that now your new screen saver? His 72 chevy pickup, one of his Harley's and the 66 needle nose are all matching paint scheams

Thatguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

dude, that sucks ....... my truck makes $1200 x 5 days a week average over 2 weeks (in other words I make less on my long week, more on my short week... but it averages out the same) for roughly an average of 500 miles a day at 6mpg........

I have a pre EGR Cummins isx... the big 475 (the big one makes 1800ish ft/lbs torque and the litle one makes 1650 ft/lbs.... the little one is maxed at 475 hp, mine started at 475 and has been turned up to 550) run through the Meritor 10spd that it came with. The cummins rep has told me in the past to lug it and keep it down and shift at 1200 rpms ...... i did that and got 5 mpg. I now twist the hell out of it and run it out to 2100 to shift to keep the turbo spooled going through the gears and cruise at 1500ish @70 mph.... I get 6 and don't shut the engine off from when I leave the house till I get home. [/threadjack]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online