Big Rig Accidents

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I may have posted this before, but its sure worth posting again.

Before I started with K-W, one of our drivers topped a hill on I-70, to find traffic backed up, almost to the top. The road crew was jockeying equipment, and didn't have anyone flagging at the hilltop. With no regard for his safety, he took the hammer lane, and plowed through the freshly laid concrete. A bunch of waiting vehicles got a concrete shower. Tore up the truck pretty bad, including ripping the rear suspension almost completely off the frame.

The truck went to KC Pete, for rebuild, and many hours of sandblasting and jackhammering off the set up concrete. Coincidentally, my fiance's uncle was the one who put back in paint. We have since traded old #9, and word is that its still on the road, pulling a grain bucket.

Over the course of several weeks, many letters and cards were received at the office, by people who were waiting in line, and wrote down the company name, from the door of old #9. A common theme emerged quickly, thanking the driver for his selfless courage, and professionalism, which probably saved many lives that day.

The driver stayed with K-W, until this summer, when family reasons required him to take a job closer to home.

While the truck and driver have moved on, this story of professionalism, and sacrifice remain. Occasionally, I still have to remove concrete from T-111, while doing maintenance. It is a recuring reminder of the level of expertise required to pilot one of these massive rigs, on a daily basis, and return the driver, the load, and the equipment safely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online